[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access

jonathan matkowsky jonathan.matkowsky at riskiq.net
Wed May 31 17:22:00 UTC 2017

Thin Whois data doesn't have PII - We were saying that for registration
DETAILS that can be queried from the existence of a domain name (which are
NOT in thin Whois data), the way to deal with that is informed consent. The
thin Whois data is cross-referenced against the domain name that was
created. The domain itself exists. We very much can say that there is no
PII in thin Whois data for domain names. DNS queries and SOA records are
not part of this working group. And the fact you can use the Whois PROTOCOL
to query RIRs also has nothing whatsoever to do with the Whois DATABASE,
especially thin Whois. We can still be privacy champions without turning
everything into a privacy concern, especially where none exists. The
privacy issues to the extent they do exist, are not within the subject
matter at issue. And therefore, there is simply no proportionality
principle that need be applied here.

On Wed, 31 May 2017 at 20:10 Michael Peddemors <michael at linuxmagic.com>
wrote:

> On 17-05-31 10:07 AM, allison nixon wrote:
> > the rest of it can't be. You can't put a DNS query behind a EULA. We
> > can't pretend there are restrictions on this data.
> >

> We aren't discussing DNS or any other places that data is available as
> part of this working group. Only the informed consent of data held in
> whois thin data.
>

> --
> "Catch the Magic of Linux..."
> Michael Peddemors, President/CEO LinuxMagic Inc.
> Visit us at http://www.linuxmagic.com @linuxmagic
> A Wizard IT Company - For More Info http://www.wizard.ca
> "LinuxMagic" a Registered TradeMark of Wizard Tower TechnoServices Ltd.

jonathan matkowsky, vp - ip & head of global brand threat mitigation