[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] The principle for thin data (was Re: Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed May 31 20:00:14 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 03:20:59PM -0400, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
> That does not mean we need to protect it, it means we have to examine it in
> terms of DP law.  May I repeat the suggestion that Canatacci made in
> Copenhagen in response to a question.....(I forget the precise question he
> was asked, sorry). If you want to figure out whether you have to protect
> something or not, do a privacy impact assessment.

As I think I've said more than once in this thread, I think we _have_
done that assessment and I think the answers are obvious and I think
therefore that there is nothing more to say about this principle in
respect of thin data:

    - the data is either necessary for the operation of the system
      itself or else necessary for distributed operation and
      troubleshooting on the Internet.

    - the data does not expose identifying information about anyone,
      except in rather strained examples where the identifying
      information is already completely available via other means.

What more is one supposed to do?

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com