[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from Next-Gen RDS PDP Working group call on Wednesday, 29 November 2017 06:00 UTC

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Wed Nov 29 11:06:27 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email, and the Adobe Connect chat, MP3 & Adobe Connect recording below for the Next-Gen RDS PDP Working group call held on Wednesday, 29 November 2017 at 06:00 UTC
Mp3:   https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-nextgen-rds-pdp-29nov17-en.mp3[mailer.samanage.com]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mailer.samanage.com_wf_click-3Fupn-3DBicbgE3FNUxHuHwOPdgXp7PxnHhpBITaBzfgAxdndi-2D2BfJ-2D2FMroolDGxniegGuHcfnPRT3ufG8PNO99SNd2qyk2rkEqs76N5zA8uOynvJKG7M-2D3D-5FQuA5zZR9ZZ7J1F2FeF-2D2FOsgm1hgIDcBrAX2P7Ezxmql7ckJc4ios1-2D2BxObAoz2rzLSI3c4QB1NGo7bw7XrBjpRCbz74w4vzk48UxZMFoBBQBQaQ0ePdiOjdJ30sQNHkokOf-2D2F2p-2D2FBvMgKvMhzp-2D2B4u8fP-2D2BRrSytHe2KCf2HpQmtSbpezMgNTUG57PiORAPesOotpHA-2D2BC4pSmXJRsVmpbNaLqzo84sKCQAVW1sKuEbbLMZrxVlMNH3zAq6baOLiaL8tiLkTqwavJFOvbFuROyjhdHPQAWJHqieUR1wiANNaRdQcEHzT2aSwLgEj-2D2B5MkmCNmKshD4V89InNC7tyILJ4LUAPfLly3vJksECzrimYwKwZS-2D2F4GUkyYyGiUxutnjxSIb6pK6-2D2F40UbziJNFLzBPghR0L8eyEjG9YqpFHpPVxLjdGDkg9gsDhqvPaNbYhN5srH7v5Yg86kGonejPC2bvWvk5RcYwz6S51NyA8BvQEBXEOvZEjIsVrpB5vUGPdRmsAY5-2D2F&d=DwMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=aTTPJ1JSmkbDALFlh28CvpS9_NlBtlImm_w12wTaO_s&s=VcMPUKdDFf4E1iGmG_dRFFRMSScWS_7SKPkbWke8taQ&e=>

AC recording:  https://participate.icann.org/p3uyaxlp6q3/<https://participate.icann.org/p3uyaxlp6q3/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=da98784bd396b38e57f1d982b189a0a8f647aa1f7e8f2c7c1c2566602aaf4d91>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMF-g&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=GJMkY4Fbi9sry9Z53DaSWJm-mHxMfFxg7MEVDf2JU90&s=FI3QJYH6DWWCDQir6NDMSjPkzdqfTTUmf9Ua-AYpc14&e=>

Wiki agenda page:   https://community.icann.org/x/LgByB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

———————————————

AC Chat Next-Gen RDS PDP WG Wednesday 29 November 2017

  Nathalie Peregrine:Dear all, welcome to the GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group teleconference on Wednesday 29 November 2017 at 06:00 UTC

  Nathalie Peregrine:Meeting agenda page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_LgByB&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=DHPX0nKd-MdnsjkMfGWZqUteWPXbl9aTII6XcfESUNQ&s=BYRv0i8oN2flUBHM2sS8XKfD5ZBq2KYMHhScF08YpSM&e=

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello All

  Nathalie Peregrine:Welcome all!

  Tomslin Samme-Nlar:thanks and hello all

  Lisa Phifer:Call Handout: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_download_attachments_74580014_Handout-2D29Nov-2DRDSWGCall.pdf&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=DHPX0nKd-MdnsjkMfGWZqUteWPXbl9aTII6XcfESUNQ&s=igCSpcrtks16p1WpgFRsWsafJWTLPgMIp8W68Hw0mN4&e=

  Tim OBrien:hello all

  Lisa Phifer:We are now on slide 4

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):in cases where domain can not be resolved due to RBL which lists WHOIS servers of a registrar - it will not help

  Kal Feher:no audio for jim

  James Galvin (Afilias):sorry have to reconnect...

  Nathalie Peregrine:Jim, can you please provide your number privately and I can dial out to you

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):i.e. DNS server of a registrar (THIN whois) is not reachable  - knowing contact does not help

  Kal Feher:agree with marc. the second is derived from the first. we dont really need to elaborate on the same principle

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):+1

  GZ Kabir:Agreed

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I am not sure broadening the scope to unlimited services list will be a good idea

  Tim OBrien:since we are talking with lawyers, we should call both out seperate a

  GZ Kabir:we are only talking about names and not the services on top of it

  Kal Feher:I know a few of us have said this before: once we've agreed on a reason to collect (and maybe publish) data, we don't need to enumerate every possible purpose and trying to do so may result in strange outcomes

  James Galvin (Afilias):I confess I don't recall who was advocating for services.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):formally delivering of a plain jokes gifts to a contact named in RDS is a service

  Tomslin Samme-Nlar:I think that technical issues related or found to be related to Domain Names are inclusive of services mentioned in the second purpose

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):so I am not sure it goes well with privacy

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):so at least the list of services should be more narrow (potentially described, but not listed)

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):+1 Marc

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Registrant ID is enough for a technical (non criminal) investigation

  Tomslin Samme-Nlar:For technical contact, I think Email address and phone number is needed to resolve technical issues. I don't see the need for a physical address in resolving technical issues.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):and Tech contact

  Kal Feher:agree with Jim. both client and server statuses are relevant

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):such as e-mail & phone

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Company name/name  in tech contact might be needed - to avoid confusion (at least to write/call them politely)

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:i think tech contact should be made available

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:+ 1

  Michele Neylon:It's in there

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:Will just point out that there are several ccTLDS that do not even need a tech contact at all

  Michele Neylon:"Sponsoring Registrar"  etc

  Michele Neylon:TBH I tend to use the "host" command to work out where the domain  / hostname is pointing and take it from there

  Michele Neylon:DNS records => hosting provider

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:In light of GDPR there are ccTLD's limiting the info on tech contact if they want any at all

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:that is already happening in the many EU countries

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@Benny, I do not think ccTLDs are going to use RDS in full if at all

  Michele Neylon:Expiry dates aren't included in a lot of ccTLDs

  Michele Neylon:TBH some ccTLDs don't consider "expiry" to be a valid concept

  Kal Feher:@michele, they are certainly useful for technical resolution. I'm of course ignoring the confusion around registrar and registry exp dates

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:@Maxim no I am aware of that but the point was that it's not a NEED to have domains working and resolve problems

  James Galvin (Afilias):Just domain status: as shown in the example

  Lisa Phifer:See notes pod - doing so now

  Kal Feher:statuses are either server or client. client in this context is the registrar and server is the registry. its useful to know who applied what status

  Kal Feher:client hold and server hold result in the same thing, but the cause might be very different.

  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Susan

  Kal Feher:ICANN has a reasonably good website explaining statuses

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:that works

  Kal Feher:check out this page for a quick rundown: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__icann.org_epp&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=DHPX0nKd-MdnsjkMfGWZqUteWPXbl9aTII6XcfESUNQ&s=2lgs7IlmRUeFEVvhZ5YDfa26rlkPJtoonr4fLjN6pGc&e=

  James Galvin (Afilias):There is also this: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_resources_pages_epp-2Dstatus-2Dcodes-2D2014-2D06-2D16-2Den&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=DHPX0nKd-MdnsjkMfGWZqUteWPXbl9aTII6XcfESUNQ&s=yN7n_7rcYXZrJxzJI4Ug_oiwZULq_I2ASjkAPDEYj_c&e=

  James Galvin (Afilias):Which is the same thing :-)

  James Galvin (Afilias):It is not "server status" it is "domain status"

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:shouldbe domain status

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):actually this example is using an old format: after CL&D policy Sponsoring Registrar is Registrar e.t.c.

  James Galvin (Afilias):No, not EPP status

  Kal Feher:I think domain status might be more intuitive to non industry participants

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):it is domain status

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:Domain status

  James Galvin (Afilias):@maxim - :-)

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I'd suggested Marc's approach - we need to identify needs , and not to revise the old lists of info bits

  Lisa Phifer:@Maxim, what information is needed for a Technical Contact?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I think Tech ID, name , e-mail , phone

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):rarely postal address used (due to more than 2 weeks of letter delivery sometimes = one way)

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:Name?

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:It will be only a role

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:You done really need a name on a person

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):name/company name - to start phone conversation properly (insted of "hey, TechID _____ we have an issue"

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:done = only

  Tomslin Samme-Nlar:I agree with Benny we don't need a name

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:Sorry to little coffee here, should be, You don't really need a name on a person

  Lisa Phifer:@James G, one contact method enabling real-time contact?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@Benny, how then to address the person ? and to avoid confusion (in case where similar Tech ID was used by mistake)?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):+1 Jim (postal info rarely needed for tech investigation)

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:yes am also in agreement with jim

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:any technical problem needs a quick access and resolution

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):cicle of letters (sending, having one back) takes a month, which is more than usual time for tech issue resolution

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:@Maxim as of today we already today tell people to use a role as name instead of having outdated info on persons no longer available

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@Benny, unfortunately some of them still using it , despite recommendation to use "Domain Tech Support" e.t.c

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:We need a contact which respond on issues and that doesn't need a persons name

  Michele Neylon:Email isn't published for *any* .uk domains

  Lisa Phifer:WG Agreement #32: At a minimum, one or more e-mail addresses must be collected for every domain name included in the RDS, for contact roles that require an e-mail address for contactability

  Susan Kawaguchi:but you can request it

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:the importance is having a workable contact

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):what we have in case of a physical person in Tech contact? I do not think we can avoid name there

  Michele Neylon:email address collection does not mean email publication

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):on the other hand, it might be "hello , you are listed as a Tech ID ___ contact for domain ____" , and it might work over time

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):+1 Michele, collection and storage of e-mail

  Lisa Phifer:In case it is relevant: WG Agreement #41: In the interest of maximizing contactability, additional contact methods MUST be supported by the RDS as an open-ended list and be optional for Registrants to provide. This does not preclude agreements on requirements to include other contact methods

  James Galvin (Afilias):@susan - I think that the efficacy of a particular contact method is a separate discussion.

  Lisa Phifer:Also, with respect to roles: WG Agreement #36: Purpose-based contact (PBC) types identified (Admin, Legal, Technical, Abuse, Proxy/Privacy, Business) must be supported by the RDS but optional for registrants to provide.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):people just tend to forget things e.t.c.

  James Galvin (Afilias):+1 - michele

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):if they do not uspdate tech info - the worst thing happens is they loose the domain

  James Galvin (Afilias):ensuring that contact methods work is important but as a practical matter you should have TOS that says if it doesn't work then the default action is you simply lose the domain name.  :-)

  Susan Kawaguchi:+1 Jim

  Lisa Phifer:Note that we have a charter question on Data Accuracy which we'll address after we agree on data elements

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):so the warning to have it updated is enough , and we are not going to be a police of tracking changes the people make in their lifes (it is way too far )

  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Chuck

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:+ 1 Jim

  Lisa Phifer:@Jim, for technical issue resolution, at least one method of real-time contact must be provided for either the Tech Contact, or if no Tech Contact is provide, the registrant?

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:@ It make logical sense

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):it might work

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:someone needs to resolve the issue

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:he is in between

  Lisa Phifer:WG Agreement #36: Purpose-based contact (PBC) types identified (Admin, Legal, Technical, Abuse, Proxy/Privacy, Business) must be supported by the RDS but optional for registrants to provide.

  James Galvin (Afilias):@lisa - yes

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:so implicitly if none provided it pushes the registrant to abide to being responsible

  James Galvin (Afilias):@kris - +1

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):it could be IANA ID #9998 - the registry

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:@maxim +1

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:+ James

  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Michelle

  Kal Feher:@maxim in those instances the registry is responsible so they are the people you want to contact. it's still relevant

  James Galvin (Afilias):@michele - +1 add the registrar web site link

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):just notice

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):and having a link would be really good idea (not many people know how to google for IANA ID Registrar list)

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:i like that as well

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):it is already public

  Michele Neylon:Registrar information should be public etc etc

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):old hand

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):sorry

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):URLs could be found using https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_registrar-2Dreports_accredited-2Dlist.html&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=DHPX0nKd-MdnsjkMfGWZqUteWPXbl9aTII6XcfESUNQ&s=34FIL9p-8THGWUJb3sh5kTfRiMVYqhZz-Ev0utPBIv8&e= and https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.iana.org_assignments_registrar-2Dids_registrar-2Dids.xhtml&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=DHPX0nKd-MdnsjkMfGWZqUteWPXbl9aTII6XcfESUNQ&s=wHynkxy-e1hrfotFtUSep7ccGMHZ1ARJl0QmquCUECo&e= combined

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:i think we are closer

  Lisa Phifer:The list: Tech Contacts, Registrant contact, nameservers, domain status, expiry date, sponsoring registrar

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:@lisa can we get a sample agreeement that goes to the registrar just for more understanding

  Lisa Phifer:@Kris, can you please clarify what you are asking for?

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:between ICANN and Registrar what is specifically stipulated.... what data is required etc>

  Michele Neylon:That's in the RAA

  Kal Feher:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_resources_pages_approved-2Dwith-2Dspecs-2D2013-2D09-2D17-2Den&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=DHPX0nKd-MdnsjkMfGWZqUteWPXbl9aTII6XcfESUNQ&s=p-tq9xlPnlkeRwmUiXleelL3uPyQsuEQaUxBNdqODg0&e=

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:ok

  Michele Neylon:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_resources_pages_approved-2Dwith-2Dspecs-2D2013-2D09-2D17-2Den&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=DHPX0nKd-MdnsjkMfGWZqUteWPXbl9aTII6XcfESUNQ&s=p-tq9xlPnlkeRwmUiXleelL3uPyQsuEQaUxBNdqODg0&e=

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:thanks michele

  Michele Neylon:Maxim - having to play "hunt the website" is not my idea of fun

  Lisa Phifer:The slide in the deck also shows what is required of the registry

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@Michele, I agree with that, I meant not many people can play that game and URL is needed

  Fabricio Vayra:thanks all!

  Sam Lanfranco:Thanks to all

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):bye all

  Kal Feher:thanks. alternate times are the best times!

  Susan Kawaguchi:Thanks Chuck

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:thanks

  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:thanks chuck and all

  Daniel K. Nanghaka:Thanks Chuck

  Daniel K. Nanghaka:Bye all

  Tim OBrien:good day everyone

  GZ Kabir:thanks and bye all