[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Contactability

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 16:23:13 UTC 2017

Hi Bastiaan,

>>A question though. I understand how ’TLD blocking’ would work as an
effective albeit sledge hammer way of mitigating certain forms of spam. And
I get the concept of blocking all traffic coming from particular
hosting-providers, ignoring cases where spoofing of prefixes is involved.
But what exactly is ‘registrar level blocking’?

>>The example you refer to is (also) a hosting/cloud-provider - but if that
were not the case, what can ‘blocked’ purely looking at the registrar
service provided?

"registrar level blocking" isn't a feature that's available to most e-mail
inbox owners because it is a lot more complicated than writing a wildcard
for example *.xyz for an entire TLD. It would probably require a multi step
process of WHOIS querying the domain -> parse for registrar -> check block
lists. I'm unsure how the large operators do it exactly.

But if you look at this page:

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/registrars/

you can see a list of which registrars feature most prominently in spam.
Registrars that get to the point have a business model where they profit
from these types of customers. Alpnames in particular was in the news
because leaked communications revealed they were aware of the spamming and
offered to not suspend the domains for abuse. A bulletproof registrar, if
you will. Despite this incident, and despite being on the Spamhaus list of
"worst registrars" months later, they are still an actual registrar
accredited by ICANN. An equally valid participant in the DNS as any of you
here.

And that is barely scratching the surface.

So you can also see how the desire to block an entire registrar's
customerbase is directly linked to ICANN's failure to decertify the
registrar.

Compare this "not my problem" attitude to the attitude that the Google
Chrome team has towards its list of trusted certificate providers. They
have no qualms about giving the death penalty to abusers. Google is also
requiring companies to produce "certificate transparency" logs, a real time
feed of all the certs they sign, and who they are for. Instead of wringing
their hands about privacy solely on the website owner's side, they
understand that these are tools massively used for abuse and actually take
into account the rights of people being abused by these tools.

As a result of these differing attitudes, the Chrome browser enjoys a lot
of public trust, with almost no demand for custom trust lists, and ICANN's
naming system loses legitimacy every day as the collective masses of the
Internet increasingly turn their backs on them.