[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Reputation systems are not just nice to have (was Re: What we want redux)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Oct 3 20:56:03 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 08:49:11PM +0000, jonathan matkowsky wrote:
> The overwhelming majority of phishing is on compromised domains, and the
> primary course of mitigation is contacting the victim alongside their
> hosting provider. This is not done by the registrars currently but it could
> be contractually imposed on them, I suppose.

I think that the distributed operation of the Internet will be less
successful if we attempt to turn it all back into contractual
relationships, like some giant, poorly-planned phone system.

But even if we decided to do that, we have precious little evidence it
will work: much of the registrar market is a race to the bottom, and
the ability of ICANN to police the contractual relationships in that
market effectively has not been well-demonstrated over time.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com