[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Reputation systems are not just nice to have (was Re: What we want redux)

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 14:06:48 UTC 2017

>>Allison – I have one clarifying question for you: Do you support keeping
personal information public in jurisdictions where that would be illegal?
I assume not and, if I am correct in assuming that, then I think that we
need to focus on how to deal with that.  Your suggestions for informed
consent could help in that regard.

What a complicated question. First, obviously, I don't support breaking the
law, but laws in different countries are going to conflict, so we ARE going
to contractually obligate someone to break the law somewhere.

Second, it's still not clear that this breaks the law. As has been said
time and time again, data collection is not legal but only if there is no
worthy purpose behind it. When the data protection commissioners, and
outside counsel were both asked about WHOIS, they were not supplied with
any of the many many worthy purposes that were discussed on this list, and
no realistic conversation was actually had about the anti-abuse use of
WHOIS. This is why I objected so much to the re-use of those questions.
Apparently others asked to give input in the questions asked of outside
counsel and they were not given the opportunity to either.

Third, a number of people on this list who want nothing more than to remove
WHOIS entirely have declared it illegal, but from the overall patterns on
this list, it appears that many making that argument are happy to ignore
and misinterpret facts and even basic English sentences so long as it
allows them to declare that removing WHOIS is what needs to be done. So
their legal opinions are highly suspect, and I do not believe they are the
actual legal opinions of the EU regulators.

Fourth, I know a number of exemptions exist within the GDPR that allows
companies to retain data to protect themselves, and for national security,
criminal investigations, public safety, etc. Despite WHOIS fulfilling a
critical role in all of those issues, this has never been seriously
discussed here, and certainly wouldn't have been acknowledged by the people
who only use their legal knowledge to find reasons to declare WHOIS
illegal. I don't know how ICANN can seek or obtain an exemption, but I'm
hoping someone with legal knowledge and less bias could illuminate this. If
an exemption can be issued, many legal concerns become moot.

and re: Paul Keating's email:

>> Is there a purpose that could support the public display of PID such
that consent could be requested and provided?

I don't know what PID stands for