[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] WSGR Final Memorandum

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Mon Oct 9 08:35:43 UTC 2017

Neil, you seem to be making a few assumptions and claim them to be
facts, so they will have to be corrected:

Proxy or privacy are not "obvious cash-cows", for many registrars they
are loss-leaders or financially irrelevant. Many registrars offer these
services to meet customer demand, not to make a quick buck. While it is
true that these services can be profitable for some registrars, this is
not the case for more registrars.

I also do not see it as ironic than contact information is published ob
websites, but not in the whois for a large number of reasons:

- publishing contact information on websites is a legal requirement in
many jurisdictions, but publishing it in whois is not.

- publication on websites can be controlled, and protected against
automated harvesting by any number of means, publication in whois cannot.

- the owner of the domain name and the operator of a websites may not be
the same

Best,

Volker