[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] RDS-PDP-WG Looking for blue sky

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Tue Oct 24 12:55:49 UTC 2017

As a domain owner and one who works with at risk groups in less than
open societies I don't have one "dog in this race". I work with groups,
and myself, where lots, or little, information is available through
WHOIS, and in some cases (e.g. for ccTLD .ca) the minimum is set by
Registry/Registrar policy. For groups that risk physical harm
privacy/proxy is essential (and that includes not just repressive
regimes, it includes some half-way houses for abused women in North
America). We are dealing with multiple stakeholders here.

We need to remind ourselves that we are looking for the viable
intersection of the needs of four groups: the registrant, the
registrars/registries, the various data protection regimes, and those
who (for whatever reasons) make legal use of what is deemed to be
properly available.

The postings that verge on character attacks, even against "stupid
consumers" don't contribute to our work. We are looking for the
acceptable intersection of four sets of needs, wants, and (in the case
of governments) policies, and we are not looking for, nor would we reach
a consensus on, a null set.

By any assessment of the pace of progress we have been painfully slow.
For those of you who are face-to-face in Abu Dhabi, for the sake of the
work, and the efforts of those of us who cannot attend, focus on the
what and why of what constitutes the viable set that will move us toward
consensus.

Sam Lanfranco (ncsg/npoc)