[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Sat Sep 23 13:13:05 UTC 2017

I am pretty much aligned with Kris’ position here, treating the GDPR as
a sort-of baseline as this Working Group does its work. I would like to
step back a bit and put this emerging RDS/GDPR policy intersection into
a wider context.

ICANN’s policies and practices for security and stability of the
Internet, its operational relations with its contracted parties, and its
multistakeholder policy making process will have to come to terms with
the fact that much of the new policy affecting the Internet will come
from the individual and multilateral expression of national interests
and national concerns outside ICANN’s remit.

The old worry that the ITU, the UN, or some other multilateral
organization, might “take over” the management and policy development
for the security and stability of the Internet has to be replaced by an
understanding that the Internet ‘rights” policy agenda have gone well
beyond a focus on the issues that fall within ICANN’s remit.  As policy
issues such as GDPR mature, ICANN’s policy remit will represent a
smaller part of the global Internet policy agenda, and it scope for
policy will be affected.

This does not mean that ICANN should expand its policy remit. It does
mean that ICANN’s policy process and operational relations, especially
with contracted parties, will have to factor in what is happening in
other national and multilateral policy arenas. It may also mean that
ICANN as a whole may want to participate in some fashion, as a
stakeholder in its own right, in the non-ICANN part of the global
Internet policy agenda. Its various constituencies are, of course,
already involved.

The current RDS/GDPR policy intersection, and this episode around ICANN
Board conversations with the data privacy people, */suggest that ICANN,
and its constituencies should open up an internal dialogue/* around how
ICANN can, should, or should not, handle engagement with policy issues
outside ICANN’s remit, especially when those policies will have impacts
on the context in which ICANN fashions policy within its own remit.

Sam L