[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Sat Sep 23 13:41:05 UTC 2017

"I'm not sure there is a dilemma - the contract can't require you to break the law."

There is a great deal of dissent that those in this group often ignore on this point. Or that there aren't very important other reasons to still allow unfettered access to whois. Or that can't be resolved with very simple things like whois privacy for free.

Or that the strict interpretation to privacy overriding any and all issues not only will make us profoundly less secure and our data less private; it could literally fundamentally break the internet.

My concern is that all these secret squirrel meetings never seem to have the input of those ACTUALLY CHARGED with protecting the security and privacy of those in our charge.

I am stunned and fascinated that the opinions of those of us ACTUALLY DOING THIS WORK is routine set aside or openly mocked.

--
John Bambenek