[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Mon Sep 25 21:20:53 UTC 2017

All,

We clearly need a process here to prevent us from going around in
circles when it comes to the relationship between our RDS task and the
emerging global data protection regimes. Here is a half-baked idea, but
it may have some merit.

What if the RDS-pdp-wg simply focuses on its narrow remit on the data
elements we think should be collected, and those we think should go in
the public access subset. There could be also a designated "flag person"
who, on their own or with advice/prodding from others, simply plants
flag/markers around any data elements the rds-pdp-wg proposes, and where
there are likely to be contentious GDPR issues.

Once we have finished with the identification task we can then look at
the current state of GDPR and decide how we are going to proceed with
the list, in light of the warning "flags". As well noted, GDPR is
evolving so a separate discussion toward the end, about how we deal with
the GDPR constraints that themselves are evolving, might expedite our work.

Just a thought.

Sam L.