[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Tue Sep 26 18:48:50 UTC 2017

"As for privacy proxy solving the problem, it does not.  Over collection
is not solved by providing a proxy in the third party disclosure
mechanism.  It is still over-collection, disproportionate to needs."

I fundamentally disagree because the purpose of ICANN is not the mere
facilitation of domain from registry to registrant. The purpose is the
security and stability of the internet and that means I have a need to
verify who is connecting to my network and have a means of contacting
them. That point has never been made, to my knowledge, to them.

The point that removing that ability of me being able to contact domain
owners does far MORE to REDUCE the privacy of the registrants than does
publishing said information.  We talk often about verification
out-of-band for sensitive communications. How can I do that without a
phone number?

I will loudly and vigorously argue that the path advocated will make the
problem FAR worse and not better. Hopefully we don't get to the point
where I have actual data to prove that.

On 9/26/2017 1:34 PM, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
> As for privacy proxy solving the problem, it does not.  Over
> collection is not solved by providing a proxy in the third party
> disclosure mechanism.  It is still over-collection, disproportionate
> to needs.

John Bambenek