[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] WSGR Final Memorandum

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Wed Sep 27 04:34:31 UTC 2017

We should not forget that data protection regulations (GDPRs) are, and
will continue to be, in flux. The selection of widely used GDPR, such as
those from the E.U., is a useful starting point, both as a reference set
of regulations and –as needed- as a lightning rod. This is not a
question of my GDPRs vs. yours?

Differences across GDPRs are to be expected. They can reflect the stage
of national GDPR development, or reflect different cultural and
political sensitivities to data protection. Those of us with differing
GDPR frameworks can use the pro-offered E.U. GDPR as a lightning rod to
animate the discussion in areas where we see conflicts and omissions.

 From the larger perspective, within this current reality, we have to
arrive at a workable set of principles within which ICANN meets the
spirit of GDPRs. The principles should be general enough to leave scope
for negotiation, to minimize the scope for litigation, and to avoid the
need for frequent revision.

Sam Lanfranco
(ncsg/npoc)