[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] What we want redux (was Re: ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners)

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Thu Sep 28 23:54:45 UTC 2017

Allison

I agree with Andrew and you - up to a point.

Purpose is critical - which is why this group has to focus on it. As the legal opinion makes clear, while ‘anti-abuse’ or other issues of the safety and security of the DNS may not be considered as a primary purpose, the opinion does suggest that they could be considered as secondary purposes - and therefore, a legitimate reason/purpose for which information can be collected.  The test would then be what information is necessary to hold in order to achieve the purpose(s).

Who can have access to what information is a separate question - we aren’t there yet. But it will ask why the individual/organisation needs access to what specific information. And - using gated access mechanisms - access to such individuals/organisations for agreed purpose(s) would be permitted.  The opinion’s discussion of access by law enforcement agencies supports that.

A word of caution here.  Obtaining consent FOLLOWS collection.  That is, ONLY data necessary to achieve agreed purposes is collected in the first place.  Consent is about collection AFTER the determination of what information is collected.  Again, go back to the opinion on that.

I do not, however, agree with your final point.  It does not follow that a new RDS scheme will ‘create excessive risks’.  If  fighting spam, malware, etc is accepted as a legitimate purpose (which seems to be the case) AND individuals/organisations that are involved in dealing with those issues need access to information that is necessary to address the misuse/abuse issues, then the miscreants cannot expect  protection.

So yes, let’s please focus on purpose - both primary and secondary.

Holly