[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Reputation systems are not just nice to have (was Re: What we want redux)

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 18:55:50 UTC 2017

Thank you Andrew, because you have articulated this problem in a much
better way than I could have. Reputation systems are a fundamental part of
the ability to connect to the Internet.

re:Jeremy Malcolm's email:

You are describing the current patchwork of reputation systems that exist
today, and no one disputes that they are optional. However, the optionality
here is on the part of the network that the domain owner wants to reach- a
network that is a 3rd party to the entire registrar <-> registrant
relationship, and the registrant gets no say. Those networks would be, for
example corporate networks at banks or large email providers like Gmail.
And if you are an operator of Internet infrastructure, you would be very
concerned about what those reputation systems think of you. Like so many
mean girls in highschool, they can all very quickly decide they don't want
to talk to you.

I'm going to mention some specific examples that anyone here can replicate
on their own, and these are all connectivity problems that legitimate users
will experience from reputation systems:

   - Fire up Tor, and try to visit any website. Chances are, it will demand
   a captcha or block you entirely.
   - From Tor, try to register a new Gmail/Twitter/Facebook account. Then,
   from your home IP, register a new account. One asks for SMS verification,
   and might just block you, while the other does not.
   - Register a new domain, configure everything perfectly to the technical
   specs, host the mailserver on your own machine, and try to send email from
   it to any Yahoo, Gmail, or corporate e-mail address.
   - Use any e-mail address to try to strike up a conversation relating to
   male enhancing medications, or certain opiates, and depending on specific
   phrasing, it won't make it past the spam filter. Especially on gmail.
   - Register a new domain on any TLDs widely regarded as malicious, like
   .XYZ or .science, host a regular website there, and in the first month of
   that domain's lifespan, see if anyone from different corporate networks can
   reach your website in their browsers
   - Purchase hosting space to host a legitimate website from any hosting
   provided regarded as a "bad" hoster, like Cyberbunker or Ecatel. See how
   many people from corporate networks can reach you in their browsers, or
   receive mail from you

If you are a domain holder and website administrator, you cannot opt-out of
this. Some blacklist operators will allow you to request removal, but they
can refuse and often do if the IP or domain is still spamming. Other
blacklist operators do not allow you to request removal, because you
weren't specifically blocked, but the confluence of datapoints from your
infrastructure resulted in the block.

None of this is happening out of a deep seated hatred of privacy, or a
bizarre desire to censor discussions about specific medications. They are
the direct result of the abuse problem.

And the abuse problem is so bad, it actually affects the value of these
domains and IP ranges. It's part of normal practice to perform
due-dilligence on domains or IP ranges under consideration for purchase-
specifically reputation due-dilligence. If these reputation systems have a
material impact on the value of these goods, and are a significant factor
in their connectivity to the Internet, then we should take notice.

Also, w/r/t your example with Let's Encrypt, some blocking systems use
their company name itself in the cert as a negative factor, especially if
the domain itself has strings belonging to commonly phished brands. It's
Let's Encrypt's prerogative to take that approach, but their reputation is
mud now.