[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Reputation systems are not just nice to have (was Re: What we want redux)

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Fri Sep 29 18:57:15 UTC 2017

On 29/9/17 11:44 am, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Since we are making policy for a system that is used in support of
> domain name operation, we need to make that support work for all the
> parts of the operations in question.  One of the operations in
> question is various reputation systems, so I think it is not optional
> for us to support that functionality.

I disagree, I think that a case can be made that reputation systems are
important, but they're not essential to the operation of the DNS.  You
might as easily say that because advertising revenue is also used "in
support of domain name operation", we need to make sure that the DNS
supports that.  There are lots of different working parts of the
Internet ecosystem that make our online experience better, including
voluntary reputation systems, but would the DNS still work without
them?  Yes.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122