[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] CIRCL - Luxembourg CERT Statement on WHOIS

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Sat Apr 14 14:42:25 UTC 2018

To me this is abundantly clear:

constitutes a legitimate interest of the data controller concerned.

The issue is then one of ensuring that access is limited to those falling
within the description in the Recital AND ensuring that the users are
informed and retain such rights relative to the data as the GDPR would
otherwise require.

Insofar as what data is "strictly necessary and proportionate for the
purposes of ensuring network
and information security,Š², that certainly includes the following:

Name (or other means of permitting attribution and identification)
Email (same)
IP address
Creation date (statistics show that domains are weaponized very shortly
after registraiton.  However, once the bad actors are aware of this they
will pivot to using stale domains they have long ago registered)
History (this is important so as to track domain abuse both in terms of
highjacking and to verify ownership t rails relative to attribution and
identification)

I am sure that we can (and should) ask the security experts to chime in
here as to what data elements are strictly necessary and proportionate for
the purposes of ensuring network and information security,

Paul

On 4/14/18, 8:50 AM, "gnso-rds-pdp-wg on behalf of Tapani Tarvainen"
<gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org on behalf of