[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Legal basis vs. lawful

Kris Seeburn seeburn.k at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 07:00:17 UTC 2018

It’s an interesting approach but the issue does not stop on EU grounds. I just want to make all and everyone understand one difficult point:

GDPR global effect

Although it’s the EU’s legal act, the new regulation will have extraterritorial application. It will apply to any entity or data controller — inside or outside the EU — that offers goods or services to, or monitors the behavior of, EU residents, and therefore processes any of their personal data. Fines for non-compliance with the GDPR can reach 4% of the company’s annual worldwide turnover or €20 million, whichever is higher.

Now this causes problems. This can easily hit badly on ccNSO guides. The big brands have easily bought domain names that is not in the EU zone. Just a highlight. I think we should certainly stop thinking one area or country. I would tend to say we adopt one general approach for all. My take is that we have to stop thinking old ways and look forward to changes. Stop thinking old ways let’s move to One way that would give ICANN org staff less issues in handling different approaches.

Kris