[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Krebs On Security article RE whois and GDRP

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Feb 16 19:09:55 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 02:01:42PM -0500, Ayden Férdeline wrote:
> Such a distinction sounds complex for a registrar to make, and even more
> burdensome for a registrar to implement. Who could afford to do
> this?

It seems it'd be pretty trivial to do on the basis of the country code
that's required in the postal address, no?

> I would
> also worry that such costs would be passed on to domain name registrants.

The costs of the EU privacy rules _are_ going to be passed on to
consumers.  I know that there are apparently rules that that is not to
happen, but that's the sort of absurd desire that King Canute was
trying to illustrate.  Conformance to the regulation imposes costs,
and they're going to have to be recoverd somehow.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com