[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Domain Name Certification was Re: Proposed Agenda for RDS PDP WG Meeting - 9 January at 17.00 UTC

John Horton john.horton at legitscript.com
Tue Jan 9 01:48:38 UTC 2018

I recognize that the term Certification can have multiple meanings and
apply in different contexts (e.g., the CAB Forum guidelines for issuing
certs involve a very different type of circumstance than my company’s,
LegitScript’s, certification), but just a note that there are various
accreditation and certification authorities out there, including
LegitScript, that also verify that the Whois is a) not privacy protected,
b) accurate and c) has a logical nexus to the business in question, and d)
extensively use reverse Whois to assess the applicant’s other business
activities, as part of a certification process that includes anti-AML
protection. Valid, accurate Whois is actually one of our eleven standards
for certification, and if we weren’t able to 1) access the Whois and 2)
conduct a full reverse Whois query of those details, the accuracy of
certification would suffer. Conversely, in our world, we’ve seen entities
certified by other (less rigorous) companies where the underlying
brick-and-mortar pharmacy was valid, but the applicant piggybacked onto the
relationship to launder money for nefarious purposes, and a simple Whois
check revealed the illicit relationships. So: for certification, which
includes anti-money laundering protections, we certainly need Whois as well
as a rigorous reverse Whois function.

JCH