[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Domain Name Certification was Re: Proposed Agenda for RDS PDP WG Meeting - 9 January at 17.00 UTC

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 16:45:14 UTC 2018

Benny,

If you sincerely thought that’s what I was suggesting, you are mistaken.
If we are going to design new Certification protocols or procedures, we
should by all means learn from others.  But that’s not within our remit —
not by a long shot.  The question is whether Whois/RDS information is
necessary in any Certification process — and the answer to that is yes.

Whether there might be an alternative in the event of a Whois/RDS failure
is not the test we should be applying.  If you lose your legs, there are
alternatives (wheelchairs, prosthetics).  I don’t see anyone arguing that
legs are not necessary, much less breaking or sawing off their own legs or
those of others.  (The movies “Misery” and “Boxing Helena” don’t count;
they are fiction, just like the alternatives that to Whois/RDS use that
don’t currently exist.)

If you are just “smarming” the list, I’ll refer you to John Bambanek’s
response.

Greg