[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Why I supported the language anyway (was Re: @EXT: RE: IMPORTANT: Invitation for Poll from 9 January Meeting)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Jan 16 14:29:13 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 01:30:04PM +0000, Mounier, Grégory wrote:
> Some of these rationales have been mentioned during the discussion on the mailing list and during the call on 9th January. Unfortunately, I think that the proposed possible WG agreement does not take into consideration these rationales. I specifically disagree with the assumption that we should make a distinction between 1) the purpose of collecting the data and 2) the purpose for using the data collected for other purposes (manage domain registrations).
> The reason why I disagree with making this distinction is that it leads to artificially reduce the importance of a valid and legitimate purpose of the WHOIS system

I think that ICANN policies have a role to play in addressing DNS
abuse, but I decided to support this week's proposed agreement anyway
because I could not think of a single case of something that would
need to be collected for abuse-fighting or law-enforcement reasons
that would not be needed to be collected for DNS
administration/operation reasons.  We already have consensus on
collecting for that other purpose.

I do not see why the distinction between the reason for collection and
the permission for the underlying reason for use will reduce the
importance of the latter purposes.

I could be persuaded otherwise, however, if someone can come up with
an example of a data element that might not be needed for the purposes
of operating the system, but would be needed for law enforcement or
anti-abuse purposes anyway.  In the absense of such an example, I
maintain that anything law enforcement or anti-abuse purposes could
need is already contained in the needs of making the DNS work in the
distributed-operation way it does.  I am opposed to adding new reasons
for data collection if those reasons are fully redundant with some
other reason.

I also note that it is question-begging to use
ICANN-the-organization's current stance about any of this as an
argument for what ought to be.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com