[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Final Version of the DT7 deliverable for Criminal Activity/ DNS Abuse Mitigation

Greg Aaron gca at icginc.com
Thu Mar 8 15:28:27 UTC 2018

I will not be able to attend Saturday morning’s session and provide my comments here.

The questions and responses focused on contact and notification – “who needs to be contacted and when”—and under-document the value and use of identifying the domain contacts, and the use of non-contact data.   In the case of DNS abuse mitigation and reputational scoring, there are many legitimate reasons for processing RDS data elements that have nothing to do with contacting registrants and their designated contacts.   Indeed, in some uses cases contact/outreach is irrelevant or undesirable.

For example, on page 1, question #2 is missing a critical item. Please add to page 1, question #2: “An objective achieved by identifying domain contacts (and accessing non-contact domain data)  is to assign reputation (risk) to domain names.  This can involve identifying trends and patterns, correlation with other data such as nameservers, and finding association with known bad actors.”

All best,
--Greg

Greg Aaron
Vice-President, Product Management
iThreat Cyber Group / Cybertoolbelt.com
mobile: +1.215.858.2257
The information contained in this message is privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.