[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] ICANN Blog re Session with European DPAs

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Sat Mar 31 14:15:59 UTC 2018

That depends on how you define the problem. The solution here can be
defined as "what the DPAs will accept". It is in the economic interest
of registrars to display nothing to nobody, so "some ccTLD does X"
really isn't relevant in when the problem is defined correctly. GDPR and
no privacy legislation ever devised has controlled when I can publish my
own information or my ability to tell others to publish it. We can talk
about the finer points of implementation details, but the reality is
this, if GDPR was meant to restrict even private individuals from
publishing their own private information, the discussion we should be
having is whether to simply turn off the internet in Europe.

Twitter, snapchat, Facebook, instagram, et al, have solved this problem.
People are, in fact, going to continue to use these mediums to publish
nudes of themselves stored on third-party servers. GDPR isn't going to
stop that. Give individuals the choice when not engaging in commercial
activity to check a box (or uncheck a box) to have their information
displayed. We can continue to "debate" this, and I put debate in quotes
because when this suggestion isn't being ignored, I'm simply being told
I'm wrong with little to no rationale as to why, or I can just take this
to the DPAs and let them give us the answer.