[Gnso-rpm-protection] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat for Sub Team for Additional Marketplace RPMs call on Friday, 04 August 2017 16:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Fri Aug 4 20:54:37 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email. The MP3, Adobe Connect recording and Adobe Connect chat below for the Sub Team for Additional Marketplace RPMs call on Friday, 04 August 2017 at 16:00 UTC.

Attendance and recordings of the call are also posted on agenda wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/ZwkhB

MP3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-marketplace-rpm-04aug17-en.mp3

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-marketplace-rpm-04aug17-en.mp3>
Adobe Connect recording:   https://participate.icann.org/p4bm289ktz3/

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DwMFAg&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=PFpB-ztyZLUAAnXOX9y_p1wsu5KdiKi0m_1qr3qRnA0&s=pn5u28Q_u0cXQWKC94ecGoBfvu1FKXSd7xgx7fKD9WY&e=>

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 04 August 2017:

Michelle DeSmyter:Dearl All, Welcome to the Additional Marketplace RPMs Sub Team call on Friday, 04 August 2017 at 16:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_ZwkhB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=UW398DYGZl8jpkuTyf0_4sI39T-R6Lu5t1x0l4AiKoA&s=SEyvHvRrMXpAB5hfleqOHVx7oY7idzBfqq4unSDQDR0&e=
  Philip Corwin:I am on Adobe only, from Maine. Yesterday I lost all audio, so we'll see if it goes better today.
  Paul McGrady:Waiting for an operator to connect me..
  David McAuley:dialing in/waiting
  Michelle DeSmyter:I have informed the operator we have people dialing in and to answer promptly
  David McAuley:just got in
  Steve Levy:HI all
  Paul McGrady:On the line!
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Paul seems muffled...I tried turning my volume up, perhaps the operator can turn him up?
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:(Or maybe others think its fine)
  David McAuley:seems fine to me Kristine
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:OK
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:I was on the last call and we did not discuss it.
  Philip Corwin:Kathy is correct. I am in Maine absent reliable phone service for one more week. So hopefully we can get co-chair resolution the week of 8/14
  Rebecca L Tushnet:We mmight want to know what their justification is in those terms
  Philip Corwin:How about -- Is there language in the current adopted TMCH policy or related documents that expressly permits or prohibits such use? -- That converts the question from one that calls for a judgment to one that focuses on document language.
  Susan Payne:+1 Phil that seems a sensible approach
  Philip Corwin:Thx Susan
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:I support Phil's clarification.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:It keeps the focus.
  Kurt Pritz:Cost to parties in the value chain (e.g., brand owners, registrars, registries, registrants)
  David McAuley:no objection
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Phil has a suggestion  ^
  Kathy Kleiman:Good sound, Phil
  David McAuley:i like Phil's formulation
  Mary Wong:@Paul, all - that is why I used the words and phrases "scope", "framework", and "rules" - so that we understand we are talking about the entirety of what the TMCH was developed to do, instead of limiting it to Consensus Policy (nothing specific for each RPM), or AGB (implementation).
  Kurt Pritz:Here’s what I think the policy is: “New TLDs shall not infringe the rights of others,’ augmenting by the Protection of Rights Worrking group report plus the IRT STI-approved recommendations.
  Kurt Pritz:*augmented by
  Rebecca L Tushnet:Especially at this stage, I think Mary's formulation makes sense
  Mary Wong:@Kurt, that's a very elegant and accurate summary!
  Rebecca L Tushnet:If we have more specifics later, we can add them in
  Kathy Kleiman:The entire URS comes out that policy.
  David McAuley:sounds fine
  Kurt Pritz:I like Phil's formulation too because policy = consensus policy and requires all registries to comply. These individual RPMs are in addition to the policy-required mechanism. So the question is, are the additioanl mechanisms prohibited? (like Phil says)
  Mary Wong:@Jeff, here is the Board resolution that approved the GNSO Council's adoption of the STI report; note that the text of the resolution directs ICANN staff to analyze all comments and develop updates for TMCH and URS for the next version of the AGB: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_resources_board-2Dmaterial_resolutions-2D2010-2D03-2D12-2Den-236&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=UW398DYGZl8jpkuTyf0_4sI39T-R6Lu5t1x0l4AiKoA&s=dRGUBQbPRjZHAmwcTODBXWnivgxjsStw6GmGYs9iVS0&e=
  Mary Wong:Hence the staff comment that Kurt's formulation is accurate.
  Jeff Neuman:Here is the Board resolution on its acceptance of the STI report
  Jeff Neuman:https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2010-03-12-en#6
  Jeff Neuman:But it does call for ICANN staff to amend it in response to comments received
  Jeff Neuman:i just saw the duplication
  Jeff Neuman:My confusion with this whole thing is that there technically is no "policy" on all of this
  Mary Wong:No new questions have been added.
  Jeff Neuman:So to ask whether it is permitted or not makes no sense to me
  Jeff Neuman:Its really what we want to do for the future
  Kathy Kleiman:Tx
  Kathy Kleiman:It sounds like a good idea.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:+1 David, all of the STs have advocated for coordinated efforts due to survey fatigue
  Mary Wong:Staff and co-chairs have started collating the data collection proposals for Sunrise, and it looks like there will be quite a lot of information to be gathered from ROs and other stakeholders, either by survey(s) and/or by direct outreach to SGs.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Oh my
  David McAuley:whoa
  Kathy Kleiman:hit the jackpot?
  Susan Payne:+1 Kristine!
  David McAuley:Good point Kristine
  Mary Wong:We will do so, Kristine and all - we just haven't to date, to allow the Sub Team to have the opportunity to first discuss the original text.
  David McAuley:Thanks Mary
  Susan Payne:Should we say "Protected Marks Lists" then for this Q
  Susan Payne:MMX - just bchecking
  Mary Wong:I believe they all use some form of protected marks list - Donuts, MMX and Rightside
  Susan Payne:Minds + Machines’ Protected Marks List
  Kathy Kleiman:private protected marks lists?
  David McAuley:none here
  Susan Payne:we don't need private
  Susan Payne:they aren't private
  Kathy Kleiman:the lists are private
  Philip Corwin:No major objection to private, but it seems redundant for any service that is not required by ICANN
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:+1 Susan
  Kathy Kleiman:Susan's expansions are fine
  Kathy Kleiman:yup!
  Rebecca L Tushnet:Yes
  Susan Payne:i think so
  David McAuley:yes
  Kathy Kleiman:sure
  Philip Corwin:Consolidating 3 and 7 seems reasonable
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:+1 Mary.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:All the facts!!!
  Rebecca L Tushnet:We could also use an e.g. again
  David McAuley:+1 Phil
  Rebecca L Tushnet:To indicate that we consider this a particular issue
  Steve Levy:Favor consolidating but not deleting
  Susan Payne:Yay
  Jeff Neuman:Part 1 of 8 should be consolidated into 3 as well
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:I'm going to just repeat what I said for Q7 for Q8.  Also included in the rules.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:(spoiler alert)
  Susan Payne:yes
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:LOL Jeff
  Steve Levy:Go For It, Paul!
  Kathy Kleiman:+1 Kristine
  Kathy Kleiman:Does seem like a subset of 3
  Jeff Neuman:I am not in favor of mixing factual questions with subjective ones.....
  Susan Payne:yep - 2 and 3
  Jeff Neuman:Agree with Kristine +1
  David McAuley:No obj
  Susan Payne:Steve - they would
  Susan Payne:or indeed they do
  Steve Levy:Thanks, Susan and Kristine
  Jeff Neuman:it is for Donuts, MMX and rightside
  Kurt Pritz:I'm sorry. Where are we putting the second half of number eight? Does it belong with number 2?
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Thanks Jeff, I thought so, but wasn't sure.
  Steve Levy:Thanks, Jeff
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Yes, Kurt
  Susan Payne:yes 2
  Mary Wong:8(a) to Q3, 8(b) to Q2
  Mary Wong:LOL
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:check
  Kurt Pritz:then +1 Kristine!
  Kathy Kleiman:P to K4
  Rebecca L Tushnet::) Kathy
  Kathy Kleiman:Paul, a closing comment?
  Jeff Neuman:Mary needs the last word :)
  Mary Wong:@Jeff, not on a Friday but happy to take it :)
  Kathy Kleiman:For our scribe, could you note the keeping of Deleted #2 at the bottom of the current document?
  David McAuley:Thanks all, good bye
  Steve Levy:Bye all!
  Susan Payne:great call Paul
  Amr Elsadr:@Kathy: Captured as an action item above.