[Gnso-rpm-protection] Working Group Co-Chairs' response to question of Sub Team/Working Group scope regarding Additional Marketplace RPMs

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Mon Aug 28 22:32:25 UTC 2017

SENT ON BEHALF OF THE RPM WORKING GROUP CO-CHAIRS

Dear Additional Marketplace RPMs Sub Team members,

The Working Group co-chairs have discussed the question you raised regarding the remit of this Sub Team and how its work ties in to the overall scope of the Working Group’s RPMs review. We confirm that our understanding of the purpose and scope of this Sub Team is similar to that of the other two Sub Teams that were formed with respect to the Sunrise and Trademark Claims RPMs, i.e. to develop questions focusing on any data gathering needs.

The other two Sub Teams were asked to review and refine a pre-determined set of questions from the Working Group Charter. What this Sub Team is doing is quite similar, in that you have been asked to review and refine a set of draft questions developed by the Co-Chairs with additional Working Group member input, that are intended to guide the Working Group’s discussions of the Additional Marketplace RPMs currently being offered by some registry operators.

The scope of work for this Sub Team is therefore limited to finalizing, for Working Group review and discussion, a list of questions about the Additional Marketplace RPMs that suggest any data and other information that need to be collected, and to identify where such data may already exist and what data gaps may remain.

We acknowledge that a broader question has been raised as to whether it is within scope for this Policy Development Process (PDP), and hence our Working Group, to perform a similar review of the Additional Marketplace RPMs as is being done for the mandatory RPMs. In this regard, please note that the scope of our PDP work is defined and set by our Charter. As such, while the Sub Team has determined that some proposed questions are of a qualitative/policy nature and therefore unrelated to data gathering, how the Working Group will deliberate on the Additional Marketplace RPMs will be a matter for the full Working Group to agree on, based upon the Charter framework. We expect this discussion to occur following the completion of the data collection exercise for all the questions that this Sub Team will present to the Working Group.

We hope this note is helpful in clarifying the purpose and scope of this Sub Team’s work. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

With best regards,
Kathy, Phil and J. Scott