[Gnso-rpm-providers] Redline Edits to Providers ST's URS Proposals - Review by COB Fri

Justine Chew justine.chew at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 03:38:54 UTC 2018

Phil,

Yes, what you propose is acceptable.

All,

1. I'm not entirely sure that all Examiners are members a of Bar (in their
respective countries) but a revisit of the Providers' responses will
probably confirm this one way or other.

2. I admit that the issue of conflict of interest is a dicey one since I
personally believe establishing presence or absence of it is a subjective
exercise. But requiring the publishing and updating of Examiner CVs will
certainly help with the checking for potential conflicts of interest (by
Providers and parties alike).

3. This is suggested as an action item for the WG, not even a
recommendation. I think the fact that "non-performance or malfeasance" is
stated in Procedure 7.3 which also suggests that the Providers are free to
determine such incidences on a case by case basis, merits some
consideration by the WG. And as Brian suggests, there is ambiguity with the
language in Procedure 7.3.  Are we encroaching into the management
practices of Providers? Perhaps, but I think the WG should consider and
make a conscious decision whether or not some operational fix or policy
change is needed in this respect.  Plus, doesn't having transparent
Examiner practice standards help to also protect Examiners against
'inappropriate' action by Providers (action which at this point, is
seemingly left to the discretion of Providers).

4. Again, I merely wanted to highlight the elements to be "read into" this
proposed action item when it is deliberated by the WG so that there is
proper context. But I have a feeling this would be achieved anyway on 2
counts: (1) that the WG's attention is drawn to the Super Consolidated URS
Topics Table where context is captured (as opposed to the summary document
which the subteam worked off); and (2) that two of our WG co-chairs have
expressed here some contextual consideration of this action item.

I'm happy to see it move forward to the WG for deliberation.

Regards,

Justine
-----