[Gnso-rpm-providers] Please use this UPDATED (FINAL) List of Provider questions (Re: FOR FINAL REVIEW: Consolidated List of Provider Questions)

Corwin, Philip pcorwin at verisign.com
Tue May 1 12:48:16 UTC 2018

Can we get some compromise/closure on this question?

Michael wants to know if Providers seek a diversity of examiners based upon experience representing trademark owners/complainants and domain registrants/respondents, and if they track this.

Others feel strongly that this presumes that examiners are unable to remain neutral based on client representations, and that many clients may assume both roles and are not readily distinguishable.

My own personal view is that most examiners are faithful to their oath to be neutral, but that some diversity of background is good (as we presume that most judges are faithful to their oath to administer justice neutrally, but wouldn’t be comfortable if every judge was of one political outlook or the other).

On the other hand, I think diversity matters much less in the URS than the UDRP because there should be no room to interpret shades of grey – in fact, if a case exhibits shades of grey that require discretionary judgment it should be kicked to the UDRP or a courtroom. The main requirement for a URS examiner is the ability to recognize when a case presents a slam dunk, incontrovertible black-and-white instance of cybersquatting, and when it does not and therefore is not fit to be decided under this rapid RPM.

I hope we can get agreement today as the questions were supposed to be closed out last night. Thanks

Philip S. Corwin

Policy Counsel

VeriSign, Inc.

12061 Bluemont Way