[Gnso-rpm-sunrise] Definitions of Reserved Names, Premium Names and Premium Pricing

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue Jun 13 18:53:38 UTC 2017

Hi Kristine, Useful discussion!  At least as I read Registry Agreement
2.6, it's a reference to Specification 5 - thus, the same 100 Reserved
Names (which the New gTLD Registry Operator does not have to share). But
as I read and have always read the language, anything beyond that 100
Reserved Names may be registered by the Registry Operator but cannot be
merely "reserved," but must be "registered" through a Registrar under
the Registry name (or some other corporate name). Thus, these domains
would not be  "Reserved Name" (e.g., a special list of unregistered
domains), but will be visible, registered domain names appearing in the
Whois.

The problem I thought we were facing is some New gTLD Registries
creating large Reserved Lists (far beyond the 100 of Specification 5,
and outside the requirements of 2.6.) If that's not an issue, then
great. But the problems I was hearing with "Reserved Names" would seem
to be beyond a few dozen here or there...

But you are working through today's reality while I am living the
original Registry Agreement drafting and understanding. What am I missing?

Registry Agreement Section 2.6 below.

Best and tx, Kathy

2.6
Reserved    Names.        Except    to    the    extent    that ICANN
otherwise    expressly
authorizes    in    writing,    Registry    Operator    shall comply
with    the    requirements    set    forth    in
Specification    5    attached    hereto    (“Specification 5”).
Registry    Operator    may    at    any    time
establish    or    modify    policies    concerning    Registry
Operator’s    ability    to    reserve    (i.e.,    withhold
from    registration    or    allocate    to    Registry Operator,
but    not    register    to    third    parties, delegate,
use,    activate    in    the    DNS or    otherwise    make
available)    or    block    additional    character    strings
within    the    TLD    at    its    discretion.        Except as
specified    in    Specification    5,    if    Registry Operator
is    the    registrant    for    any    domain    names    in the
registry    TLD,    such    registrations    must    be
through    an    ICANN    accredited    registrar,    and will    be
considered    Transactions    (as    defined in
Section    6.1)    for    purposes    of    calculating    the
Registry-­‐ level    transaction    fee    to    be    paid to
ICANN    by    Registry    Operator    pursuant    to Section    6.1