[Gnso-rpm-sunrise] Mp3, Attendance, AC recording & AC Chat Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) Sub Team for Sunrise Registrations

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Fri May 5 17:18:10 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email. The MP3,
Adobe Connect recording and Adobe Connect chat below for the Review of all
Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) Sub Team for Sunrise Registrations on
Friday, 05 May 2017 at 14:00 UTC. Attendance of the call is posted on agenda
wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/TwTfAw

MP3:   https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-rpm-review-05may17-en.mp3

Adobe Connect recording:
<https://participate.icann.org/p87ze0chjn1/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=029929868fed1ad2
8d0b8d51c4d9985cb1e68d6f0272a40c48270918080ea07a>
https://participate.icann.org/p87ze0chjn1/

Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-sunrise/

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/msrRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 05 May 2017:

   Terri Agnew:Welcome to the Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms
(RPMs) Sub Team for Sunrise Registrations call on Friday, 05 May 2017 at
14:00 UTC for 60 minute duration.

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_T
wTfAw
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
TwTfAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpC
IgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=cs9pcufFpgluTy-fivI6_JPf9vV8neWvqpOcwyDxse
Q&s=jfL9g970fVZyy0DC_Aht8Eyr8vPkt99FOeGqE7fAZ9I&e>
&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=cs9pcufFpgluTy-fivI6_JPf9vV8neWvqpOcwyDxseQ&s=jf
L9g970fVZyy0DC_Aht8Eyr8vPkt99FOeGqE7fAZ9I&e=

  Julie Bisland:Hi Amr!

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hi ALl

  Amr Elsadr:Hi Maxim.

  Mary Wong:Good idea, Lori!

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):could we resize windows - so the shared one is
bigger (by making notes bit smaller)?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):that is why I drag with me 2 LTE phones + one modem
from 2 porviders :)

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):and another ISP at home

  Mary Wong:Hmm I'm not sure it makes much difference, Maxim - maybe Terri
or Julie can confirm (or better yet, help!)

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):it is enough, on the second thought

  Jeff Neuman:I am in listen only mode for today

  Mary Wong:Me too, mostly - this seems to be the noisiest airport lounge
ever (Newark). Sorry.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):please post the URL to Google doc to the chat

  Matt
Mlsna:https://docs.google.com/a/icann.org/document/d/1nm91bUcbX-PhA1imkKdOuj
WWRXsbyORq5a78Aqc-ciM/edit?usp=sharing

  Mary Wong:@Lori, that was going to be the staff suggestion as well.

  Terri Agnew:@Maxim, pod have been adjusted slightly, I don't think it
helped much

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):also there were some comments made by me, which are
not visible on the shared PDF

  Mary Wong:That was in case there are further updates from today.

  Terri Agnew:Sync is on, everyone can adjust size of screen themselves

  Mary Wong:So basically the final document will have the original Charter
question (not in this document, sorry), and whateve final updated version is
proposed by the Sub Team (right most column)

  Griffin Barnett:same here

  Amr Elsadr:And distorted.

  Matt Mlsna:same here

  Terri Agnew:@Kristine, your audio is not clear, please let me know if a
dial out on the telephone is needed

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):too close to mic

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:BRB

  Philip Corwin:Kristine's audio is unintelligible

  Mary Wong:@Lori, when circulating the links to the materials along with
the question, the Sub Team can also ask if Working Group members think there
needs to be further discussion after they have reviewed the materials. We
can also suggest to other Sub Teams that any time a team feels an
"informational/educational" type question is included, a similar approach be
proposed.

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:I'm back...if I can get back
in the queue

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I have a question about 2. comment - I think we mix
premium names and reserved names - I do not think it is right

  Amr Elsadr:Much better Kristine.

  Mary Wong:@Maxim, that's why there was an earlier suggestion that we've
carried over, as to whether definitions are needed. Most people felt it
would be helpful, I believe.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):definitions are good idea

  Mary Wong:Deloitte also provided that information in writing, in their
initial response to the data gathering questions.

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Even better, Mary!  I
definitely remember the verbal presentation.

  Amr Elsadr:@Maxim: regarding question 2, this comment is in the google
doc, but couldn't be exported into the pdf version. Apologies.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):shall I add it to the text?

  Mary Wong:@Lori, shall we make it an action item to discuss possible
definitions for premium names, reserved names and premium Sunrise pricing on
the list?

  Mary Wong:@Lori (sorry) - yes to the time estimation. I think we'd gotten
to 3.5 - 4 calls for the first few questions. I will check exactly where we
stopped.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):ok - I will move it from the comments to the text

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):about publishing of reserved names - I'd like to try
to speak

  Jeff Neuman:I would change "words" to "strings" since that would be more
accurate

  Lori Schulman:good suggestion Jeff -- strings

  Mary Wong:@Lori I've pasted the data discussion and timeline estimates
from last week to the Agenda pod on the right.

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:To be clear, I don't believe
Maxim claimed to speak for the registries as a whole.  :)

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:+1 Kathy

  Mary Wong:J. Scott had suggested that any questions that need data
gathering be dealt with last in order by the WG, to allow for the data to be
obtained

  Jeff Neuman:This issue will take a while

  Jeff Neuman:Lots of complexities

  Mary Wong:@Lori, all, see the time estimates from last week on the right
(Agenda pod)

  Jeff Neuman:Where to publish, how often, etc.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):it may vary from country to country ...

  Jeff Neuman:The list of stings changes when any changes are made in the
TMCH

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):in our case it is 9k lines of really bad language

  Mary Wong:Note that we've not had good luck with registry responses to
date

  Mary Wong:And no luck at all with registrars.

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Fair point, Mary, but this one
might get some attention

  Mary Wong:Yup, not disagreeing, Kristine, just noting for realistic
expectations :)

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):though - providing ICANN with reserved lists on
requests of the group looks fine on terms of non-disclosure of the lists

  Jeff Neuman:I think more calls

  Jeff Neuman:Lots of complexities

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):so tests on examples could be ran, but nothing more

  Jeff Neuman:I am multi-tasking so cant talk

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Reserved names MAY be released
at some point.

  Philip Corwin:Exactly. Reserved names for this exercise are those not
available for sunrise registration but that may be released subsequent to it
(or may never be released).

  Mary Wong:All, just a head's up that since some of the original questions
have been rephrased and/or combined, staff will go back to check that the
timeline estimates and data discussion from last week match up (or are
updated following today, as the case may be).

Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):for example- single letters - they are limited to 26
ascii and there is a reason for having them inpremium

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):*in premium pool

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):and example for unavailability of POLICE in GEOs -
for example is that local police have right to use it

  Mary Wong:@Phil, that sounds useful - the Sub Team will probably need to
discuss what data points can be used for the sampling, though.

  Philip Corwin:@maxim--would agree that single letter domains would likely
be on any registry's premium list, and hard to fault

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):the same with 2 letters

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):at least those available

  Amr Elsadr:@Maxim: Could you clarify if you believe the question shouldn't
be asked, or if you were trying to answer the question by saying "no"?

  Mary Wong:@Lori, on the scope/reason for this question - from the public
comments received it's more likely that Sunrise can be the mechanism, but
may not be the only or preferred one.

  Kathy Kleiman:Data gathering: what type of overhead, cost and management
would then be required?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):The reason is poor design of ALP - GEOs cound not
use it ... only one tried and still not launched

  Philip Corwin:Should there be a sunrise registration period for any domain
released from a registry's reserved list?  -something like that for
rephrasing

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):and the reserved lists is the only way to deliver
names to city - POLICE should go to Public Authority and not to Eyewear
maker

  Mary Wong:Sunrise was suggested, but I believe the commenters were open to
other mechanisms if they exist or can be developed and are viewed as
"better" than Sunrise.

  Kathy Kleiman:Data gathering: what other mechanisms might be available?

  Jeff Neuman:There alreadi is a requirement for claims when a name is
released.  That is already required

  Mary Wong:@Jeff, should the question then be whether Sunrise, or an
equivalent mechanism, also be required?

  Jeff Neuman:Reserved Names is a complicated matter and involves a number
of thorny issues because names are reserved for lots of different reasons.
This discussion needs to be coordinated with Subsequent Procedures PDP

  Jeff Neuman:@Mary - Understood.  But this needs to be coordinated with
Subsequent Procedures as perhaps a joint discussion.

  Mary Wong:We can hear you, Lori

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):clames are not required ATM for release of names
(they required only 90 days following the beginning of GA)

  Kathy Kleiman:sorry, just lost my connection :-(

  Mary Wong:@Jeff, point taken. We'll note as Action Item.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):+1 @Jeff about coordination with  Subsequent
Procedures PDP

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:+1 Jeff

  Mary Wong:@Lori, @Jeff - how about the Sub Team agrees on the rewording
(per Kristine) and suggest to the WG that we park this question until it can
be discussed with SubPro?

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:My current wording:  Are ROs
using features like pricing and reserved lists to avoid the sunrise RPM?

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Which hopefully limits the
discussion here to ONLY sunrise issues.

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Jeff?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):RPMs is about not giving names to wrong people

  Mary Wong:@Lori, it depends. An initial discussion with the relevant
Chairs (Sub Teams, Work Tracks) would be the start.

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Yes

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):and not about delivering it to particular parties

  Mary Wong:And yes, sorry, WG chairs obviously too (left that out from my
response as a result!)

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):but the coordingation should be done between whole
PDP and not with subgroup and another PDP

  Jeff Neuman:Susan Payne I think was the other

  Mary Wong:@Jeff, for that discussion - if it's on specific questions -
inviting the Sub Team and Work Track chairs would be good, won't it?

  Mary Wong:Yes, Susan Payne.

  Jeff Neuman:yes sub-team chairs too

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:I'm thinking...

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):which question are we now on?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):9?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):and what is the final version of 5?

  Mary Wong:@Maxim, Kristine suggested rewording (see above)

  Jeff Neuman:What is the "intended" effect of Sunrise?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):do we know it?

  Roger Carney:+1 Jeff

  Philip Corwin:I would think the intended effect was to give rights holders
a fair chance to register as domains those marks that they have placed in
the TMCH.

  Mary Wong:For the TM Claims Sub Team, staff went back and looked at the
IRT and STI reports and ICANN documents for the AGB to try to find
rationale. Shall we do the same hre?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Rightholders are not limited to TMCH

  Roger Carney:@Mary, makes sense

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):so we had to have local LRP for the small TM owners

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:I would love that Mary

  Jeff Neuman:a "fair chance" pr "first chance"

  Jeff Neuman:or

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):ASCII in moscow

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):and Cyrillic in .MOCKBA

  Kathy Kleiman:I have to run - great meeting, Lori!

  Mary Wong:There's no RPM WG call next Weds so the Sub TEam can use that
Weds time rather than Friday, if preferred.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):also there might be a community restrictions

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):like  only citizens of particular city .. so not all
TMCH entries are good

  Lori Schulman:That could work.  I have the CCT-RT plenary next Wed. May
10, If it doesn't overlap, I could chair

  Mary Wong:@Kristine, @Maxim - do we know if there is any centralized data
location to track all RO LRPs? I'm not sure the ICANN site has that info
(but could be wrong).

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):yes

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):there is good resource for LRPs

  Maxim Alzoba
(FAITID):https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__newgtlds.icann
.org_en_program-2Dstatus_sunrise-2Dclaims-2Dperiods&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrc
rwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk
&m=cs9pcufFpgluTy-fivI6_JPf9vV8neWvqpOcwyDxseQ&s=LY9okvZzKchoPnV3CiyycohZ-08
htaZHV7puKmr9Uuk&e=

  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Have to run for another
meeting..talk to some of you in a bit.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):where ICANN could check how many TLDs used LRPs and
for what reasons

  Mary Wong:@Lori, got it

  Mary Wong:Any preference for Weds or Fri?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):next week is a GDD summit

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I suggest we skip it

  Mary Wong:Yes

  Mary Wong:OK

  Mary Wong:Friday? Or none?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Friday is good - the same time

  Mary Wong:@Lori, good idea, will do

  Mary Wong:Or yeah ok Friday plus poll

  Roger Carney:Thanks!!

  Philip Corwin:happy weekend