[Gnso-rpm-sunrise] Summary of Progress on the Sunrise Registration Sub Team

Dorrain, Kristine dorraink at amazon.com
Thu May 25 16:01:18 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I want to respond specifically to the suggestion that the point of the questions is changing.
"Should Sunrise Periods continue to be mandatory?" became "Are the Sunrise Periods as typically implemented having their intended effect?"

It may be that we lost the "therefore" here, but to revisit the discussion a bit:
Should Sunrise Periods continue to be mandatory is a question calling for an opinion.  No data, no suggestion of an issue, no idea of what the team is to REVIEW.  The point was to try to guess at the underlying question that would lead to this outcome question.

So when you drill down, you ask, "well, why would they be mandatory or not"?  Answer: Because they're either doing their job or not.  Ok, so let's ask if they're doing their job.  If they are, then possibly they should be mandatory.  If not, maybe they should not be mandatory.   So you get to:

Are they having their intended effect?   --If yes, are there some issues we can address?  If yes, what are they - do they involve making sunrise not mandatory for some or all registries?  If not, great.
                                                                                -- If no, then what should we do differently?  Does it include keeping sunrise mandatory for all registries?

So it's not a total bastardization of the question.  It's trying to get at the root.

I hope that helps.

Best,

Kristine