[Gnso-rpm-sunrise] RPM sub team homework assignments need to be "bite-sized"

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Mon Jan 28 22:01:02 UTC 2019

(cross-posting to both sub team lists)

Hi folks,

I spent about 4 hours today attempting the sub team homework
assignments for this week (tomorrow), and have only gone through the
first four (of the twelve) source documents, to try to cross-reference
relevant data against the charter questions. I spoke with a couple of
other very active sub team members who are also concerned about the
workload for this week.

Perhaps different members have different expectations on the amount of
outside time expected to be devoted between calls, but for myself, 4
hours is already pushing things (it typically took me around that much
time for the past homework assignments too).

I think we need to discuss breaking the tasks down into more
bite-sized pieces, as there was just too much to review for this week.
I know staff has already attempted to pick out relevant data for each
charter question, but it wouldn't be a "review" if we as sub team
members didn't read the source documents ourselves independently, and
simply relied on what staff provided.

Also, it might have been easier to do the review if staff input was in
the (currently) blank Google docs, rather than in the spreadsheet
tabs, as even on a 27" monitor, it was difficult to compare their
input with my own as I was reading the various source documents, and
tried to switch multiple tabs/documents.

If others share these concerns, please do take a moment to comment or
provide suggestions on ideal expected duration of assignments (in
hours), technical impediments, etc.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269