[Gnso-rpm-sunrise] [Gnso-rpm-trademark] RPM sub team homework assignments need to be "bite-sized"

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed Jan 30 14:08:35 UTC 2019

Hi folks,

I took a few minutes this morning to analyze the two sub teams, and
here's what I found:

TM Claims: 18 members + 3 co-chairs = 21 individuals (source:
https://community.icann.org/display/RARPMRIAGPWG/Members+and+email+archives+-+RPM+WG+Sub+Team+for+Trademark+Claims+Data+Review
)

Sunrise: 17 members + 3 co-chairs = 20 individuals (source:
https://community.icann.org/display/RARPMRIAGPWG/Members%2C+email+archives+-+RPM+WG+Sub+Team+Sunrise+Data+Review
)

People in both sub-teams: 12

Claudio DiGangi
George Kirikos
Greg Shatan
Griffin Barnett
Kristine Dorrain
Paul McGrady
Scott Austin
Susan Payne
Zak Muscovitch
Brian Beckham (co-chair)
Kathy Kleiman (co-chair)
Phil Corwin (co-chair)

Prior "homework assignments" (excluding today's): names of *anyone*
filling out Google docs (binary metric, regardless of *quantity* of
input into those docs):

TM Claims: 5 docs (each linked to via
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-trademark/2019-January/000161.html)

George Kirikos
Kristine Dorrain
Griffin Barnett
Rebecca Tushnet
Kathy Kleiman
Maxim Alzoba*** (not actually a member of TM Claims sub team!)

Sunrise: 14 docs (linked to via
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-sunrise/2019-January/000158.html)

George Kirikos
Kristine Dorrain
Griffin Barnett
Maxim Alzoba
Kathy Kleiman
Susan Payne
Scott Austin
John McElwaine
Michael Karanicolas

Note: I'm not trying to criticize anyone who's not on the above lists,
nor aggrandize anyone on it. Folks are participating in different
ways. But, as we'll see on today's calls, if those Google Docs are
empty, then we're not making much progress. As Griffin rightly said,
it can lead to paralysis if the assigned tasks are unreasonably time
consuming relative to expectations.

Looking at it from 40,000 feet, I think a fair question is: How much
"assigned homework" (between calls) is reasonable for sub team
members? There's also obviously 1 hour for the call itself, and maybe
30 minutes to an hour of prep immediately before each call (to review
the input into the Google docs by others). I've already given my own
thoughts on this previously (as has Kristine), but hope to understand
how others feel. Simply showing up for the calls isn't going to be
enough to get through all the work.

I look forward to today's calls.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos