[Gnso-rpm-sunrise] [Discussion Thread] Sunrise Q9

Corwin, Philip pcorwin at verisign.com
Thu May 9 19:01:55 UTC 2019

Michael:

Speaking in a personal capacity, in regard to your proposal:

Where a top level domain is suggestive of a particular category of good or service, such as .bike or .pizza, sunrise registrations should

require proof by the mark holder of actively doing business in that specific category.

In understand your concern that rights holders in certain dictionary words may sometimes utilize the sunrise registration period in a questionable manner. I question whether this is a widespread concern given the general cost of a sunrise registration, which is substantially higher than the land rush or general availability periods (and we have heard from rights holders how premium pricing often deters any utilization of the sunrise option). However, like Brian, I believe we can look at the SDRP challenge process to see if it needs tweaking. We can also look at whether there is some appropriate tightening of the standards to register a mark in the TMCH, when we discuss the TMCH as our final step prior to drafting an initial report.

But I believe that your proposal is both overkill and will be needlessly complicated and bureaucratic to implement, especially given that the sunrise period is but a brief opening phase for each new gTLD.

The first question is what is the activity associated with a particular gTLD string.

When I type “bike” into the USPTO goods and services search engine this is what comes up---

Mini-bikes

04/02/1991

GOODS

07-1997

Select Record

012-908

012

09/03/2009

GOODS

9-10-09 - the 9-3-09 entry was deleted because ROWBIKES is More ><https://idm-tmng.uspto.gov/id-master-list-public.html#show%20more%20content>

09-2007

Select Record

012-906

012

Rowing bikes

09/03/2009

GOODS

09-2007

Select Record

012-1167

012

Folding bikes

05/16/2013

GOODS

10-2013

Select Record

012-1538

012

Dirt bikes

03/14/2019

GOODS

11-2019

Select Record

012-965

012

Motorized dirt bikes for motocross

06/24/2010

GOODS

09-2007

Select Record

012-1007

012

Motorized dirt bikes for motocross and dune buggies

11/04/2010

GOODS

09-2007

Select Record

021-1655

021

Sports bottle belts for {specify sport or activity, e.g., running, hiking, biking, etc.}

06/13/2013

GOODS

Sports bottle belts are specially adapted for holding spor More ><https://idm-tmng.uspto.gov/id-master-list-public.html#show%20more%20content>

10-2013

Select Record

021-1652

021

Water bottle belts for {specify sport or activity, e.g., running, hiking, biking, etc.}

05/30/2013

GOODS

Water bottle belts are specially adapted for holding water More ><https://idm-tmng.uspto.gov/id-master-list-public.html#show%20more%20content>

10-2013

Select Record

028-1615

028

Equipment for skateboard parks for skateboarding, inline skating, and BMX freestyle biking, namely, {indicate goods in Class 28, e.g., ramps, rails, etc.}

04/21/2011

GOODS

09-2007

Select Record

021-1654

021

Sports bottle belts for {specify sport or activity, e.g., running, hiking, biking, etc.} also featuring storage for other items

06/13/2013

GOODS

Sports bottle belts are specially adapted for holding spor More ><https://idm-tmng.uspto.gov/id-master-list-public.html#show%20more%20content>

10-2013

Displaying all of 11 records for bike

-- Note that neither bicycles or motorcycles appear on that list, even though those were the two goods that dominated the discussion on yesterday’s call. This demonstrates that the technical trademark definition of goods and services associated with a given term may not accord with popular understanding of what a given gTLD signifies. Also note that providers of  clothing and other specialized equipment associated with the activity aren’t covered, even though they could provide perfectly valid reasons for wanting to register a .bike domain in sunrise (as could makes of tires and other bike equipment).

Also, of course, that is just the USPTO list of goods and services associated with “bike”, and other nations may provide quite different lists. So are we going to restrict a domain applicant to the list of the nation they are HQ’d in? Or do we add those in which they have secured a trademark? But what if they are also doing business in a jurisdiction where the gTLD term has a different legal association?

And what about geo domains, like .paris? Should a rights holder only be able to get a sunrise registration if they have a facility there? But what if they have no physical facility but it is a significant market for them, and therefore the registration of their mark is deemed important to makes sure that the domain is not registered first by a bad actor?

So all these questions will need to be addressed by some policy rules developed in an implementation process, and the result is bound to be subjective. And once those rules are established they must be applied, which means vetting each attempted sunrise registration to make sure it complies. Who will do that? Registrars can’t do it – the online registration process is highly automated and profit margins are already thin; this vetting can’t be automated because some human with legal/policy expertise will need to review each rationale for the registration and see if it passes muster. And what will that cost? If we let the registry decide, they will have an inherent bias in favor of letting the registration occur so they can collect a higher fee, so I don’t think that will satisfy you in terms of consistent application of the rule. So we would likely need to create some new Sunrise Registration Clearinghouse (perhaps within the TMCH, or separate from it) that will vet each proposed sunrise registration to determine if the mark is sufficiently associated with the goods and services related to the gTLD label, and if it is provide the mark holder with an approval token that can be used during the registration process.

And what if the proposed registration is denied, but the mark holder really thinks it is important to get that domain before someone else does? Well then you need an appeals process, with some rules and some designated adjudicator.

If we were to decide that this should be an enforceable restriction these are the kind of policy and technical issues that would need to be addressed. The alleged abuse can be targeted in more direct and less complex ways, while leaving it to mark holders to decide which if any of their marks are worth registering at a particular gTLD at the sunrise price.

Finally, as to the impact on free speech, if BMW’s Mini division wants to register mini.bike that would still leave available for enthusiasts of mini-bikes such domains and minis.bike, minifans.bike, minidirt.bike, etc. Plenty of potential and appropriate .bike domains are still available as platforms for speech.

Best, Philip

Philip S. Corwin

Policy Counsel

VeriSign, Inc.