[Gnso-rpm-sunrise] [Discussion Thread] Sunrise Q9

John McElwaine john.mcelwaine at nelsonmullins.com
Wed May 15 14:11:36 UTC 2019

Just chiming in here:  Q9 In light of the evidence gathered above, should the scope of Sunrise Registrations be limited to the categories of goods and services for which?

As an initial mater, I do not believe that there was any evidence that Sunrise Registration should be limited to a particular category.

With respect to the concept, in general, I do not believe that the concept of limiting Sunrise Registration to a category of goods and services is workable.  What “categories” are we trying to correlate?   New gTLD are/were not required to list a category to which they apply, some had purposes that lend themselves to this analysis, such as .BANK, but what “category” would you attribute to .XYX, .GURU, .CLUB, .WEB.

Moreover, trademark owners did not register their trademarks in the TMCH with this concept in mind.  Therefore, there could be huge gaps and this new concept could cost trademark owners thousands of dollars to register all of there marks when only one would suffice in the past.

Lastly, an exact correlation between a trademark registration and a TLD is not always going to be clear.  How will registrars make that determination?

Thanks,

John