[Gnso-rpm-sunrise] [Discussion Thread] Sunrise Q4

claudio di gangi ipcdigangi at gmail.com
Wed May 15 18:38:06 UTC 2019

Dear Sub team members,

I am posting these proposals on Charter Question 4 (reserved names) in
response to our recent Sub team discussion on this topic.

Any questions or comments are most welcome.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Claudio

*Proposal 1*

1) If the Registry Operator chooses to reserve any names from registration
that are not required to be reserved under the Registry's agreement with
ICANN, then the Registry operator MUST create a "Reserved Names List" prior
to the commencement of its Sunrise Period, which includes any such labels
reserved by the Registry.

(2) Registry Operator MUST send its Reserved Names List to the TMCH
Operator prior to the commencement of its Sunrise Period.

(3) TMCH Operator MUST identify if any reserved names on the Reserved Names
List match existing Trademark Records in the TMCH;

(4) If any reserved names on the Reserved Names List match existing TMCH
Trademark Records, then the TMCH Operator MUST send a notification of the
match ("Reserved Name Match") to the trademark owner of record (and/or
their representative) as listed in the TMCH.

*Summary*: This process (1) restricts disclosure of reserved names and TMCH
records to the TMCH operator and the trademark owner and/or their agent;
and (2) provides transparency on the status of trademark-matching reserved
labels, which have been reserved from registration.

------

*Proposal 2*

(1) If Registry Operator chooses to unreserve a label on their Reserved
Names List after its Sunrise Period is over;

(2) Then Registry Operator MUST notify the TMCH that those labels have been
unreserved;

(3) If the unreserved label matches an existing trademark record in the
TMCH, then the TMCH Operator MUST notify the trademark owner (and/or their
representative) as listed in the TMCH, that the trademark-matching label
has been un-reserved.

*Summary*: This proposal provides notice to the trademark owner that their
trademark-matching reserved label (that was previously reserved before
Sunrise) has been un-reserved by the Registry after Sunrise, and before the
string is potentially registered by a third-party.