[Gnso-rpm-sunrise] [Discussion Thread] Sunrise Q5(a)

claudio di gangi ipcdigangi at gmail.com
Wed May 15 22:44:49 UTC 2019

All,

Below, please find my comments on this thread, and an accompanying proposal
(which I had described informally on a prior Sub team call).

Please let me know of any questions or comments.

Thanks,
Claudio

----------------

Q5(a)(i) Are there any unintended results?
Proposed Answer: TBD

When ICANN developed the RPM requirements, (1) the number of applied-for
new gTLDs; and (2) the number of delegated new gTLDs were an unknown
variable.

At that time, ICANN estimated that it would receive and process
approximately 500 new gTLDs applications. However,  over 1900 new gTLD
applications were submitted by applicants, well exceeding ICANN's
expectations.

An unintended consequence of the current notification period for Sunrise is
based on the large number of new gTLDs that have been delegated, and that
may be delegated in future rounds. More specifically, the unintended
consequence occurs when multiple new gTLDs are approved to launch
concurrently (within the same 60-day calendar period).

These concurrent launches of new gTLDs negatively effect the ability of
trademark owners to make informed decisions regarding which, and how many,
trademarks or domain names should be registered during Sunrise Period in
any specific gTLD, for the purposes of brand and consumer protection.

-----------------

Under the current rules, for the "End Date" Sunrise (which runs for 60
days), the Registry can provide notice as late as the day the Sunrise
Period starts.

For the "Start Day" Sunrise (which runs for 30 days), the Registry must
provide 30 days notice before the Sunrise Period starts.

PROPOSAL: When more than five (5) new gTLDs are scheduled to launch
currently (within the same 60-day calendar period) then the notification
period for each gTLD will be extended to minimize the instability caused by
multiple new gTLDs launching concurrently.

In these circumstances (when more than 5 new gTLDs are scheduled to launch
over a 60-day calendar period):

For End Date Sunrise: the notification period must be at least 15 days
before the start of the End Date Sunrise Period.

For Start Date Sunrise: the notification period must be at least 45 days
before the start of the Start Date Sunrise Period.

This 15-day increase in the notification period is designed to help address
the negative unintended consequences that result when multiple new gTLDs
launch concurrently, by providing more time for trademark owners to make
informed decisions on protecting their consumers from registration abuse.