[Gnso-rpm-sunrise] [Discussion Thread] Sunrise Preamble Q

Dorrain, Kristine dorraink at amazon.com
Sat May 25 00:34:31 UTC 2019

I have a start here.  I tried to stay with the principles I outlined for the Claims subteam:  Short and sweet, unemotional, and with direct asks. I think we might need to flesh this out as we review proposals, but it’s a start for people to throw darts at.

Best,

Kristine

Preamble Q(a): Is the Sunrise Period serving its intended purpose?
Proposed Answer: The WG disagrees on whether the Sunrise Period is serving its intended purpose.  There are primarily two schools of thought on this and we invite community feedback on both (not only support or lack of support but, particularly, any analysis).

1.      The Sunrise period assumes that a TM holder’s rights are more valuable than another customer’s and extends trademark rights beyond those granted by relevant laws – it should be discontinued, or, at a minimum, optional.

2.      The Sunrise period was part of a balanced system designed to offset the disproportionate cost of cybersquatting that the new gTLD program would create and, while it’s imperfect, it does appear to be serving its intended purpose.

Preamble Q(b): Is it having unintended effects?
Proposed Answer: The WG disagrees on whether the Sunrise Period has had unintended effects.  We generally agree it’s imperfect, but for different reasons. There are primarily two schools of thought on this and we invite community feedback on both (not only support or lack of support but, particularly, any analysis).

1.      Some imperfections or pain points from Sunrise include: perceived “price gouging” by registries and registrars, confusion about why some TMCH marks were unavailable during sunrise, confusion related to tracking multiple sunrise periods for many launching TLDs and inadequate protections because of “exact match” requirements.

2.      Some imperfections or pain points from Sunrise include: the TMCH contains some marks of dubious authenticity and several words with both TM and dictionary meanings – the TMCH is a string comparison tool and cannot consider potential non-infringing uses.  The instrument is too blunt.

An additional question relates to the balanced system.  Is the fact that “both sides are dissatisfied” indicative of a successful outcome?

Preamble Q(c): Is the TMCH Provider requiring appropriate forms of “use” (if not, how can this corrected)?
Proposed Answer: The WG generally found the TMCH was properly validating “use” according to the rules.

Preamble Q(d): Have abuses of the Sunrise Period been documented by trademark owners?
Proposed Answer: We interpret this question to refer to abuses BY the named type of party.  We found evidence that a few TMCH entries, though they complied with the rules, appeared to have been registered solely for the purpose of entering the TMCH and getting first access to valuable dictionary words.  Question for the community: The TMCH rules are fairly straightforward.  How much “gaming” of the system is tolerable? Have you seen evidence of such “gaming” that is so egregious as to warrant complex rule changes?

Preamble Q(e): Have abuses of the Sunrise Period been documented by Registrants?
Proposed Answer: We interpret this question to refer to abuses BY the named type of party.  Registrants are trademark owners during Sunrise, so see above.  Arguably, the issue pointed out above is actually an abuse by “registrants” since the purpose is to obtain a mark simply to enter the field sooner, not to enforce trademark rights.  We invite the community’s comment on this, particularly related to the magnitude of the problem.

Preamble Q(f): Have abuses of the Sunrise Period been documented by Registries and Registrars?