[Gnso-rpm-sunrise] [Discussion Thread] Sunrise Q9

Dorrain, Kristine dorraink at amazon.com
Wed May 29 15:23:53 UTC 2019

Hi Mitch,

The problem with limiting sunrise registration to goods and services is twofold:

1.       It ignores settled case law on zone of expansion (so a brand owner with a mark covering one class of goods and services may be looking to expand and to protect its marks in that zone – many UDRP cases relate to speculative DN purchases in anticipation of such expansion of G&S or mergers/acquisitions.)

2.       It will require a complex pre-determination of what the semantic meaning of a TLD is.  Who defines the “scope” of a TLD so that you can compare a brand’s G&S to it?  ROs do not want to be pigeon-holed by one person’s semantic meaning of their TLD.  Some examples: Amazon owns .BOT.  Taken on its face (and looking at our current use and development of that TLD), you might assume that registrants (include sunrise registrants) must have G&S covering chatbots.  (In fact, if you read our LRP eligibility requirements, you’ll see that’s our CURRENT target audience.)  Yet we’re growing and .BOT could include hardware, software, AI, Machine Learning, support services.  Also, many industries like hotels, airlines, and department stores use chatbots and may want a .BOT domain to be a convenient link to their online help department.  While you only mean this limitation to apply to sunrise (which would still make it impossible for brands to secure their names ahead of time because I’ll guarantee most hotels haven’t added “AI” to the G&S, unless the RO operated special launch periods just for brand owners), the danger here is that some random 3P gets to decide the semantic meaning and therefore, use of our TLD. The likelihood that the determination made for limiting sunrise will expand into all uses of the TLD is very high. This is an impermissible restriction on business.  And it’s just ONE example.  There is literally no way to set up a G&S-based system that won’t harm ROs and RRs at the expense of a tiny group of non-commercial users who don’t want to have to pick a different name.
Thanks,

Kristine