[Gnso-rpm-tmch] TMCH data gathering sub team next steps.

Dorrain, Kristine dorraink at amazon.com
Tue Aug 9 00:08:42 UTC 2016

Greetings everyone.  Apologies for not getting this out Friday as promised.

Thanks to staff for getting out a summary report of where we are to date.
Because I have a standing meeting that conflicts with the RPMs call, it's hard for me to get on the main call.  I hope someone from the group will please remember to clarify how much actual data this group should be gathering (i.e. meeting with the TMCH or Registrars, etc.) as opposed to simply identifying relevant data without talking to anyone.  I think we need to get a concrete answer to this question before we can dive deeper.

I know staff is starting to research past ICANN reports.

The staff report dated 5 Aug 2016 says:
"While staff prepares the data extraction summary from the sources noted above, the Sub-team will continue to develop data-related questions, based on the Charter questions and suggestions since raised by Working Group and community members."

I will kick off the question list.  I hope you will all reply all and add to the list.  When we meet on Friday we can discuss if this is the direction we should be heading given the direction from the greater WG.  I reviewed our charter questions and the additional questions proposed in Helsinki to come up with a few things I think we should know when trying to address our charter questions. I think one of our purposes is to see what's out there (anticipate the WG's questions), start gathering it, and then keep the things we can't answer on a list so when the main WG is ready for it, we have a starting point for discussion.

My purpose for generating questions is to see which things might be answerable by public data, which things could be informed by public data but might need further investigation, and which should be added to a running list for things like surveys, phone calls, or questionnaires.

*         Can we find out what the TMCH's FAQ were?  Not necessarily what made it to the website but from a CS perspective, what questions did they get the most?

*         For brand owners who didn't put their marks in the TMCH

o   Why didn't they?

o   What would encourage them to participate, if anything?

*         For brand owners who did put their marks in the TMCH:

o   Would they do it again, why or why not?

o   Was the value acceptable (good cost/benefit ratio)

*         For registrars, what is the rate of cart abandonment for new gTLDs when exposed to a TM Claims notice vs after the Claims period and how do those numbers compare to TLDs?

*         Are registrants confused with presented with Claims Notices (this could start with a simple Google search to find random rants, but I'm not sure how to poll "the internet" because if a registrant has a relationship with a registrar such that they'd call the registrar and ask, they are probably sophisticated enough to know what's going on - but maybe not).

*         [add yours here]

-          Kristine Dorrain