[Gnso-rpm-trademark] Action Items for the Trademark Claims Sub Team Call - 9 June 2017

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 15:57:12 UTC 2017

Taking Justine's version as a jumping-off, here are some revisions :

4. Does the exact match criteria for Trademark Claims Notices limit its
usefulness?
     a. What is the evidence of harm under the existing system?.

i. Are there studies, reports or articles discussing the harm of
typosquatting and other forms of non-exact-match cybersquatting?

ii.  What is the actual experience of brandowners?

iii.  What is the link between non-exact-match cybersquatting and
phishing,malware distribution, botnets, counterfeiting, and other related
harms?

iv.  What information can be gleaned from UDRP/URS studies? What are the
limitations of relying on UDRP/URS studies

v.  What other sources of information should be used to explore the level
of harm?

     b. Should the matching criteria for Notices be expanded?
          i. If so, how (which criteria) and why?

A. Review each suggested non-exact match

          ii. What results (including unintended consequences) might each
suggested form of expansion of matching criteria have?
          iii. What balance should be adhered to in striving to deter
bad-faith registrations but not good-faith registrations?
     c. What is the feasibility of each form of expanded matches?
          i. Should the marks in the TMCH be the basis for an expansion of
matches for the purpose of providing a broader range of claims notices?
         ii. Who should be tasked to implement a solution for a expansion
of matches?
         iii. What are the anticipated costs of implementing a solution for
a expansion of matches?

A. Who should bear these costs?

     d. If an expansion of matches solution were to be implemented:
         i. Should the existing TM Claims Notice be amended? If so, how?
         ii. Should users pay a fee to use it?
         iii. Should the Claim period differ for exact matches versus
non-exact matches?

 Greg