[Gnso-rpm-trademark] Actions & Notes: RPM Trademark Claims Sub Team Meeting 02 January 2019 1700 UTC

Julie Hedlund julie.hedlund at icann.org
Wed Jan 2 20:02:36 UTC 2019

Dear All,

Please see below the action items and notes captured by staff from the RPM Trademark Claims Sub Team meeting held on 02 January 2019 (17:00-18:00 UTC).  Staff have posted to the wiki space the action items and notes.  Please note that these are high-level notes and are not meant as a substitute for the recording, chat room, or transcript. The recording, AC chat, transcript and attendance records are posted on the wiki at: https://community.icann.org/display/RARPMRIAGPWG/2019-01-02+Sub+team+for+Trademark+Claims+Data+Review.

Best Regards,

Julie

Julie Hedlund, Policy Director

==

NOTES & ACTION ITEMS

Actions:

Sub Team Homework (see the separate Homework email for instructions):

By Wednesday 9 January 2019 at 13:00 UTC, the Trademark Claims Sub Team is tasked to provide input in the worksheet set up for:
Claims Charter Question 1:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A5PSNNrAFS2bFvNoMFx-5DQUNhXpnocOrEbT1XL480E/edit?usp=sharing [docs.google.com] (for those who haven’t provided input before 2 January)
Claims Charter Question 2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hvt63HvVdNdYIZxKVMXHq3fIEFxfnweT0F3ZXsJU_Q8/edit?usp=sharing [docs.google.com]
Claims Charter Question 3: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WLE91cg73avpWHkzczNCnxw1ALWyhWqGZOnnrmqTsH4/edit?usp=sharing [docs.google.com]

Notes:

1. Statements of Interest: No updates

2. Select Sub Team Leader:

-- Martin Silva has volunteered for Co-Chair.

-- Greg Shatan may volunteer depending on the Co-Chair situation in the Sunrise Sub Team.

3. Continue survey analysis:

See the Google Doc worksheets at: https://community.icann.org/x/9YIWBg.

General Discussion:

-- Question: Go through this document/homework or directly go back to the survey and see if we agree that we have enough data on each question so we can send the next homework chart?

-- Q1(a) Could add footnote that translations could be provided in the language of the registration agreement.  Putting some foreshadowing to translations is helpful, but there is no specific data about translations.  Noting that we aren't developing recommendations yet, but noting where we might be able to do so.

-- Could put potential recommendations in italics or some other formatting.

On Kristine Dorrain's comments:

-- Might want to consider further measures for recidivist cybersquatters.

-- "Industry players" -- purposely vague; could be lots of different people.  Point is that if you are already in the know, you know.

-- On cybersquatters -- distinguishing between committed cybersquatters from those who might not know they there are running into a problem.

-- Point out that between 1(a) and 1(b) there are two sides to one coin.  The question is whether the right sorts of people are being deterred.

On George Kirikos’s comments:

-- On the last paragraph -- assumes registry's negative impact is in an unintended consequence.  I think it is part of the compromise, it wasn't unintended.

-- 83% proceeded after having gotten the claims notice, 17% stopped.  Not large-scale deterrence.

-- The magnitude of the impact might be higher than was expected.

-- Avoid results oriented analysis.

-- we're not coming to conclusions here and unless anyone has more to add on top of what George, Griffin, and I added, are we moving to Charter Q2 for next week?

4. AOB -- ICE data on domain name takedowns (hold for next meeting)