[Gnso-rpm-trademark] REMINDER - Proposed Agenda - RPM PDP WG TM Claims Sub Team - 27 March 2019

Tushnet, Rebecca rtushnet at law.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 26 17:31:12 UTC 2019

I was unable to attend the Kobe meeting, so I wanted to post my view on the first tentative answer:

QUESTION 1 Is the Trademark Claims service having its intended effect?

(a) Is the Trademark Claims service having its intended effect of
deterring bad-faith registrations and providing Claims Notice to domain
name applicants?

Tentative answer of Subteam in Kobe session:  Probably

RT: We don't have enough information to make any kind of judgment about this.  It might be a deterrent, if you believe that cybersquatters can be deterred by a notice, but we have collected zero data that indicate that this is true.

Where data are absent: (1) what percentage of registration attempts that received a notice turned back because of the notice, with a huge potential range; (2) what percentage of registration attempts that received a notice were “cybersquatting” or even “inadvertent trademark conflict” as opposed to completely unproblematic uses of strings like cloud and hotel; (3) whether the cohort that turned back was (a) proportionate to the problem intended to be solved, (b) disproportionately made of cybersquatters or other potential infringers, or (c) disproportionately made of legitimate potential registrants (since we have no data on what deters cybersquatters nor any other information about how people who intend to cybersquat respond to notices); (4) whether the absolute number or relative percentage of cybersquatting attempts changed when there was no longer a notice in place (as a change in behavior post-notice period, or its absence, could have provided relevant evidence); (5) we have no data about what the general incidence of cybersquatting in the new gTLDs is in the first place, whether in absolute terms or as compared to legacy gTLDs without the notice system.  In sum, there is evidence that notice may increase costs and deter registrations, but no evidence about what those registrations would have been in the absence of notice.

At best, it is "possible" that the Claims service is having its intended effect. There is insufficient evidence that this effect is "probably" happening.

Rebecca Tushnet
Frank Stanton Professor of First Amendment Law, Harvard Law School
703 593 6759