[Gnso-rpm-trademark] Closing Date Extended: [Discussion Thread] TM Claims Q2

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue May 21 18:19:40 UTC 2019

*Hi All, I'm not sure why this is typing in yellow highlight, but so be
it.  I think we had a good discussion on TM#2 and arrived at some sound
recommendations. Some edits below, largely from Rebecca, further
incorporate the nuances of our discussion into the proposed answers and
draft recommendation.*

*Best, Kathy (individual capacity)
*

*p.s. hopefully edits in green visible below*

*----------------------------------------------------------
*

*Agreed Trademark Claims Question 2(Pages 6-7)*

//[/(a) and (b) unchanged]/

//

/(c) Should the Claims period be mandatory?/

*_Proposed Answer: _*The Claims Period should be mandatory and be
consistently applied to all TLDs. However, registries should have
certain degree of flexibility to create a suitable business model in
carrying out the Claims Period.

*_Proposed Answer: _Where there is a Claims Period (see Q2(d)), it
should not be shortened.*

**/
(d) Should any TLDs be exempt from the Claims RPM and if so, which ones
and why?/

*_Proposed Answer: _*Some TLDs should be exempt from the Claims RPM.

*_Proposed Answer: _Some members of the Subteam believed that .brand
gTLDs had no need for a Claims period, because there will be no
individual registrants in a .brand. Some members suggested that certain
highly regulated new gTLDs, on the order of .bank, might not need a
Claims period because of the other requirements of registration, while
another member argued that a Claims period would still be appropriate
and not harmful.  Other members suggested there may various use cases
for exempting a TLD from the requirement of a mandatory Claims Period
due to the particular nature of the TLD, such as a restricted gTLD that
would bar commercial use due to its terms of use or acceptable use policy.*

*
*

*_Draft Recommendation:_ The TM Claims Subteam recommends, in general,
that the current requirement for a mandatory Claims Period be
maintained, including for the minimum initial 90-day period when a gTLD
opens for registration. In addition, the TM Claims Subteam recommends
that public comment be sought on whether there is a use case for
exempting a gTLD that is approved in subsequent expansion rounds from
the requirement of a mandatory Claims Period due to the particular
nature of that gTLD. Such type of gTLD might include: (i) restricted
TLDs that bar any commercial use due to their terms of use or acceptable
use policy; (ii) “highly regulated” TLDs that have stringent
requirements for registering entities, on the order of .bank; and/or
(iii) “Dot Brand” TLDs whose proposed registration model demonstrates
that the use of a Claims Service is unnecessary.  [moved up from (e)
below and slightly edited for clarity]
*

Potential Question for Public Comment: Is there a use case for exempting
a TLD from the requirement of a mandatory Claims Period due to the
particular nature of the TLD? [incorporated above]

/
(e) Should the proof of use requirements for Sunrise be extended to
include the issuance of TMCH notices?/

*_Proposed Answer: _*The Sub Team agreed that this is an issue for the
full Working Group when discussing the TMCH. The Sub Team also needs to
review George Kirkios’s individual proposal (#2?) regarding extending
the proof of use requirements for Sunrise to include the issuance of
TMCH notices.

/[Recommendation below appears to be for (d), now included above. Do we
have a draft recommendation for (e)?]/

*_Draft Recommendation:_*In general, the Sub Team recommends that the
current requirement for a mandatory Claims Period be maintained,
including for the minimum initial 90-day period when a TLD opens for
general registration. In addition, the Sub Team recommends that public
comment be sought on whether there is a use case for exempting a TLD
from the requirement of a mandatory Claims Period due to the particular
nature of the TLD. Such type of TLD might include: (i) restricted TLDs
that bar any commercial use due to their terms of use or acceptable use
policy; and (ii) “Dot Brand” TLDs whose proposed registration model
demonstrates that the use of a Claims service is unnecessary.

*Individual Proposals*

Please reference the following pages in the Summary Table for the draft
answers to the three questions regarding the individual proposals. Links
to the individual proposals are also included below.

*Proposal #1 (Pages 7-8):
*https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/102146375/Proposal%231.pdf?api=v2**

*Proposal #12 (Pages 8-9):
*https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/102146375/Proposal%2312.pdf?api=v2