[gnso-rpm-wg] Questionable UDRPs & TM applications

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Aug 19 14:05:48 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

We're not yet on the UDRP topic, but I thought this story should be
bookmarked for our future policy work, as an example of how the UDRP
policy can be misused to engage in reverse domain name hijacking:

http://domainnamewire.com/2016/08/19/new-trademark-king-domainers-need-watch/

which was also covered by two other blogs:

http://onlinedomain.com/2016/08/17/domain-name-news/company-filed-udrp-googles-zero-com-applied-68-trademarks-incl-10-domains-like-rome-com/

http://domaingang.com/domain-law/trademark-applications-for-tokyo-com-and-rome-com-are-made-in-pakistan/

It is important, in my opinion, to close the loopholes that are
driving this kind of behaviour that targets domain name registrants.
When very valuable domain names are coveted, but the costs of creating
shell companies is low --- in the UK, merely £12:

https://www.gov.uk/limited-company-formation/register-your-company

and/or the costs of filing TM applications are low (under USD $10 for
the Pakistan TM fees), the scale of the problem can be even greater.