[gnso-rpm-wg] FW: Updated TMCH Charter Questions tabulated categories document - 2 December 2016

Beckham, Brian brian.beckham at wipo.int
Tue Dec 13 09:22:01 UTC 2016

Paul,

It seems that your question speaks to the eligibility criteria for a particular TLD operator (whether in sunrise or thereafter), not to the TMCH – which again is meant to be a central repository on which registries/RPMs can draw.  In that case, also noting the broader RPM and TMCH policy development history, again we must be mindful to avoid the TMCH being in a position of “rendering a decision” on a previously-obtained valid trademark registration.

As to the information from Mr. Kirikos, these ccTLD-specific colloquial uses of the term “generic”, notably in the context of respondent defenses, are occurring (as applied to this context) downstream from the TMCH.  In other words, we should avoid crafting (restrictive) rules for the TMCH which may already prejudge a particular legal application (here, in the dispute resolution context), but should allow sufficient flexibility for panel assessment of the potential applicability of arguments about the strength of a particular mark in the dispute resolution process itself.

Regards,

Brian

Brian Beckham | Head, Internet Dispute Resolution Section | WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center
34 chemin des Colombettes, 1211 Geneva 20, Switzerland | T +4122 338 8247 | E brian.beckham at wipo.int<mailto:brian.beckham at wipo.int> | www.wipo.int