[gnso-rpm-wg] TMCH review objectives

Rebecca Tushnet rlt26 at law.georgetown.edu
Fri Sep 23 14:26:10 UTC 2016

Hello, all.  On the last WG call, concerns about pricing of domain names during the Sunrise Period arose. This led to a question of whether pricing is within the remit of this WG - and the broader question of what the purpose of our TMCH review is.  There seemed to be a desire to focus on the TMCH's effectiveness. The predicate question, then, is: effectiveness at what?  Here are some suggestions for discussion: (1) minimizing the cost of operating the system for all concerned; (2) minimizing the number of actions that ultimately need to be brought against infringing registrants; (3) minimizing the number of noninfringing registrants whose legitimate uses are blocked or deterred.  If the system is reasonably balancing those objectives, I suggest, then it is effective; potential changes should be directly related to improving performance on one or more of these metrics without unduly hampering the others.

Yours,
Rebecca Tushnet

Rebecca Tushnet
Georgetown Law