[gnso-rpm-wg] TMCH review objectives

Scott Austin SAustin at vlplawgroup.com
Fri Sep 23 19:24:42 UTC 2016

Phil:
I am reluctant to weigh in where there is a law professor present (especially from alma mater [L'84]), but I am concerned that the term "price" is the wrong term to focus on in this context as it is a hot button word that policymakers tend to shy away from, as in price fixing or price setting (or becoming the domain price arbitration board as UDRP respondents are fond of using) and that in a forum such as this we should stop talking to avoid violating some phantom business judgment rule.
The real issue is that every gTLD has been granted a monopoly of sorts and each second level domain they have to offer has a certain level of economic utility to be realized. It seems to me we are trying to communicate and clarify, comments and proposed provisions that articulate and support the market for these domains. But there may be more than one market.
For the business owner who has tied their reputation for quality and consumer goodwill to a term or "mark" the new domain may represent a market to expand their Internet reach to more consumers. Alternatively it may only be a market for an additional expense to deny a potential cybersquatter from using the domain/mark to divert or confuse consumers and reduce the rightsholder's revenues.
Another market to consider is that for cybersquatters who may be playing an "enforcement lottery" given the large number of new gTLDs, playing the odds that if the costs to the rightsholders become so great as to outweigh the perceived benefits, that lack of shielding can be taken advantage of and cybersquatters will perceive little risk in purchasing domain/marks of smaller businesses without the resources to actively search for infringement and cybersquatting.
And rightsholders have to assess these risks and probabilities without any real data at "sunrise", whether the new gTLD will be a hit with consumers (.guru?) or a flop (name withheld by request). It seems to me that this is part of the complex calculus we are trying to grapple with as we try to keep the markets/monopolies from being warped or abused, one case being premium names  shown by your example, as well as "reserved" names held back until the initial market for a registry's SLDs is established. Finally there is the registry's own perception of its market, who are its best customers and how to attract them so the registry can stay in business with a new and untested product.
My apologies if this is a bit prolix, but I didn't want the discussion to be overshadowed or muted based on the stigma sometimes attached to "price".
Best regards,
Scott

[vlp_logo][IntellectualPropertyLaw 100]    [microbadge[1]] <http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/33308-fl-scott-austin-1261914.html>
Scott R. Austin | Board Certified Intellectual Property Attorney | VLP Law Group LLP
101 NE Third Avenue, Suite 1500, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301