[gnso-rpm-wg] "free speech"

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Thu Sep 29 15:46:46 UTC 2016

The term ³free speech² itself is a false deity.  It is all about the
protections afforded to speech.  While some jurisdictions may go further
than others I think taking J. Scott¹s comment to mean ³speech is not
protected² would be a misrepresentation of the situation.

Aside from ³free speech² there is the closely related concept of fair use.

And, finally, of course, trademark protection is limited in scope.  It does
not act to preclude use of the identical indicator for unrelated
goods/services or for purposes which are generic (meaning the thing or its
essence) or descriptive (use in describing the thing).

I think it would serve us best to keep in mind the distinctions.

Paul Keating