[gnso-rpm-wg] Action Items, Slides and Notes from the Working Group call held earlier today

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Sat Apr 8 19:07:09 UTC 2017

Some thoughts on this thread:

We are charged with reviewing the actual performance of the RPMs created for the new gTLD program and determining if they are individually and collectively effective.  Inherent in that review is an accompanying assessment of their impact on and attendant costs leveled on all parties -- trademark holders, contracted parties, registrants, and general Internet users -- and whether they are operating in a balanced fashion.

These RPMs were developed over the course of several years, are inherently imperfect, and represent a compromise among parties with divergent views and interests. So whether or not the balance they represent is subjectively "appropriate", there is some prior consensus within the ICANN community on the question of  balance already reflected in them. This is not a zero-based exercise in which we are obligated to re-litigate and reconsider the very existence of a particular RPM and whether it is fundamentally unbalanced in concept -- its very existence indicates that those who shaped the RPMs had some rough consensus on that balance.

But if a member of the WG wants to make that argument that an RPM is inherently and irredeemably unbalanced that is his or her right. I would remind all members, however, that advocating a policy change for which consensus is unlikely to ever be reached is probably not a productive use of our time. Unless an RPM has been shown in practice to be utterly ineffective, or to have excessively negative impact on other stakeholders, and we have determined that no reasonable adjustments can remedy those defects, the chances of it being eliminated are likely close to zero.

Likewise, just because an RPM has been found to be reasonably effective does not mean that advocating for its unfettered expansion would not upset the previously acceptable balance, or yield significantly greater benefits for rights holders.

Summing up, the most likely proposals to achieve consensus support and the absence of strong and deep objections from significant numbers of other WG members are those that tweak the existing RPMs around the edges and represent incremental, positive, and reasonably balanced change. I'm a great believer in incremental change, if for no other reason that it's generally the only kind on which consensus can be reached and some progress made in policy debates.

I would hope that all WG members who propose specific alterations of the existing RPMs will clearly state what defects are being targeted, what benefits are expected to flow from the proposal, and also be candid about what new costs or burdens they may create for other stakeholders. Proposals that can get past such a cost/benefit analysis are the ones most likely to achieve consensus, wind up in our Final Report, and be sent on to GNSO Council.

I hope those thoughts are useful. Have a good weekend.

Best, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW